Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 July 2017 at 11:52PM
    Options
    Starting today's diary early before I forget things.

Had a coffee with my FiL this morning and I picked up the tab (his turn next time :) ). He's a lovely man and it's nice to have time with him.

I need to arrange more coffees with more people! A friend texted this morning so we're meeting up in a week or so, and I have a list of others I really need to catch up with.

I did manage to wander into a charity shop and bought a book this morning: no surprises there. I also resisted one. Still thinking about that ebook I mentioned last night: when it's reference/recipes (this is both) I find it easier to use a 'real' book but the ebook is about a quarter of the price. I suspect I am getting it!

Spends:
    Coffee (hospitality) £5.40 & biscuits £0.99
    Book £1.99
    Housekeeping £1.98
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 27 July 2017 at 12:44AM
    Options
    Today was supposed to be an NSD until I remembered that the special offer on an Ebook was running out. I then looked through the other Ebooks I'd sampled and gave in to three more at 99p each. I hasten to add I decided against one or two as well.

I haven't done nearly enough exercise so I went to the shops after work for dishwasher salt and tablets and some bin bags. It adds a couple of thousand steps or so! When I got home DH had (yet again) no clean shirt for tomorrow so threw a couple of shirts in the washer with what smelled like a lot of laundry liquid, so I've gone on line and ordered a couple more work shirts for him. I reckon it will save on both stress and washing powder. I won't add the shirts to my spending as they're his and will come from the account he pays in to. :)

Nothing much else to report really. I have a lot of housework to catch up on, but I'm on early shift tomorrow so it will have to wait. I poured over the rota at work but despite there being a worryingly large amount of shifts up for grabs, I've only picked up one. Everything else is either when I'm already working (there's one afternoon where apparently I am the staff team all on my own!) or when I've arranged to work on Mum's house or the only day I get off in a week. It's going to be like that while I have the house to work on - all the more reason to sell once we're free to do so.

Spends:
    Books/downloads £8.96
    Garden £5.00
    Housekeeping £13.65
    Clothing £35.00
    MS stuff:
    Leftovers for dinner at work.
    Bought a big bag of dishwasher tablets because they are cheaper per item that way.
    Got all the books on special offer.
    Didn't buy myself any clothes (as far as I can remember).
    Resisted various exotic plants marked down to half price.
    Resisted a book on Turkish cookery because it was more than 99p.
    Confession time:
    I had no plans whatsoever to spend £5.00 on a huge pot of lilies even though they were reduced from £10 and the picture on the label is lovely and colourful.

P.S. I think I'm losing focus... the above doesn't sound very money-saving at all to me. I do have most of my 'investigating offset mortgage fund' in place though, mostly because that just requires me not to do anything for a while and let it grow by not spending the money from that account. I still have to get my courage together to do something active about it - but that's a story for next month, if I ever get long enough between other commitments.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Lilies are beautiful though, I can quite understand the purchase!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Canna lilies... I think the slugs like them too!:eek:

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An occational treat which keeps giving is fine. We all deserve the odd treat. Enjoy them.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    NSD today - I think it was about time! Lilies not yet eaten by slugs, either.

I did actually manage to spend some money via work but it was work's money on behalf of work so it doesn't count, even if it somewhat assuaged the drive to buy things.

I was really tired after this morning's shift - always happens - and fell asleep, thus managing to lock DS2 out and send him on a trip to borrow his brother's key. Muzzy evening till we decided to go for a run on the strength of not having been for a few days and DH saying he's never come back from one regretting it. He was quite right: I feel part of the real world again though I have a feeling I'm going to ache. I was a bit lazy about stretching afterwards.

No MS stuff of note. Just plodding on and still not read all of the diaries I fell behind on during holidays. I'll get to you eventually folks! Just takes time. :)

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I also sometimes find that buying work things alleviates the desire to shop! Even if they're really boring sensible things. I don't think I have ever ever regretted exercising (except running when injured, when I was slightly in denial), it always helps improve one's mood and and attitude.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Arthurs_Rose
    Options
    just popping by to say hi and thanks for visiting my diary and have a peek at yours.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Welcome to the merry crew, Arthur's Rose! I do like your name by the way.

Spent nothing today, and while I haven't been counting food spending this month, I think most of it was on holiday and not done by me: much of my spending has been books and clothes. I can see our fridge and kitchen cupboards, while not bare, are a lot closer to what I'd imagine a 'normal' kitchen looks like: you can see things at the back of the shelf in a number of places. :D Good to be getting through some of the stash (although it means we have to stock up on cous cous, marmalade and possibly other stuff again. When I say 'stock up', I don't mean 'stockpile' - just one marmalade and a couple of sachets of cous cous will probably be enough. Oh, and anything else we need. We don't intend to live on some strange esoteric diet.

Work has been a bit quiet the last couple of days, and that's just as well as I've been headachey and occasionally dizzy. Seems better this evening but I'm glad I have this weekend off - even gladder that this rain is supposed to turn to sun all day tomorrow. Now I need some sleep...

• Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just came to say hello! How's the running going? I did c25k in January and really enjoyed it. Had a couple of months off now but really need to get back into it as was such a great rush when you finished!
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback