sky FREE wireless connector for sky+ HD anytime **DONT PAY £60**

Options

Comments

• eira
    eira Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the reply. I realise they couldn't clear the box -but still put out by wiping off the movies recorded during a paid for period.
  • miss_trust_2
    Options
    jon200 wrote: »
    I've been told that it's £60 non-negotiable. I had a bit of a moan, and that said they they have never given one of these away for free before and there was no previous offers.

So they are liars as well as extortionists.

when I worked for them, there was a time when they were given away to those who registered for anytime+ for the first time but customers had to have HD pack
  • smackaine
    smackaine Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    There was also a workaround in which the system recognised we could have a replacement as a result of a technical fault but failed to recognise the lack of an adaptor on the account in the first place!

Needless to say, the hole got patched up fairly quickly. As it stands now, the price as far as I'm aware is non-negotiable. Maybe the person you spoke to simply didn't know what the facts were. What would she have to gain from antagonising you?
  • AdamBrunt
    AdamBrunt Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    If you can't get the above a cheap pair of Homeplugs is a good alternative.

IME homeplugs are more than a good alternative - they are far better than relying on a wifi connection
  • Mrd07
    Mrd07 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Got a wireless connector from sky £60 but swung a £30 credit back to my account after a little moan on the phone!:j
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    eira wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply. I realise they couldn't clear the box -but still put out by wiping off the movies recorded during a paid for period.

When you subscribe to Sky you subscribe to receive certain channels and, if applicable, the Sky+ facility. If you cancel your subscription you technically cancel your right to view any content from the subscription channels. I know it doesn't work like this in reality (due to videos etc).

In terms of the Anytime+ wireless box. this offer was pulled due to the number of existing Anytime+ customer 'demanding' the box. The offer was basically pulled due to websites like this one!

From a source still at the company I was told that the plan was to start supplying the wireless box to all new TV & BB customers and all new Anytime+ subscribers, with a roll out to all existing BB & TV customers later in the year. This has now been pulled due to the huge initial demand and cost along with the stock availability. I am hearing that they may start offering wired set-ups by tacking cable to skirting - like they do with the phone cable.

the Anytime wireless box is excellent, however, a non-wireless connection (ie. the ethernet cable) is a superior way of connecting the device. As others have suggested, there are a number of other ways to connect the devices.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • Antnshell
    Antnshell Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree they are inconsistent and it depends on who you speak too. I contacted sky today and said I'd received a letter saying I was entitled to a free wireless connector (I hadn't had seen on another forum) the sky adviser said they hadn't heard of the offer and put me on hold he came back and said he'd found the offer on his system mentioning it must be new as he'd never heard of it, he confirmed connector would be with me in 5 working days. My dad also has sky and needed a connector rather than fork out 60 for one I contacted sky on my dads behalf and said exactly the same as I did to get mine but they refused and said they never give them away free I then explained they had given me one free a few hours before! Still got nowhere didn't want to cancel my dads account so left it at that, I'd say give it a go as its pot luck
  • skyinsider
    Options
    Antnshell wrote: »
    I would agree they are inconsistent and it depends on who you speak too. I contacted sky today and said I'd received a letter saying I was entitled to a free wireless connector (I hadn't had seen on another forum) the sky adviser said they hadn't heard of the offer and put me on hold he came back and said he'd found the offer on his system mentioning it must be new as he'd never heard of it, he confirmed connector would be with me in 5 working days. My dad also has sky and needed a connector rather than fork out 60 for one I contacted sky on my dads behalf and said exactly the same as I did to get mine but they refused and said they never give them away free I then explained they had given me one free a few hours before! Still got nowhere didn't want to cancel my dads account so left it at that, I'd say give it a go as its pot luck

It isn't inconsistent, and it isn't pot luck it is simply the case that not everybody is entitled to this offer and it has been pulled. If you think that you are entitled to the offer say the following to the telephone operator:
    "Can you please run the Make Sale process to check for me?"
    It is a while since I worked at Sky, however, I am sure that the systems haven't changed too much and this will still make sense.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • fritterfu
    Options
    I've just had a mail shot through the post offering me the connector for £60. Like most Sky 'valued' (and I use that term loosely) customers, I do not think I should have to pay the £60. Is Sky Anytime part of the full HD package when you sign up? Also; I have a small 'Ariel like thing' upstairs connected to my desktop as the router is downstairs. Can I not just purchase another of these myself and connect it in the same way? I am also subscribed through the friends and family so I pay less for the television package (all channels, movies, sports, music etc) but full price for phone and broadband so; am I still entitled to the offer? Any advice please guys?
  • skyinsider
    Options
    fritterfu wrote: »
    I've just had a mail shot through the post offering me the connector for £60. Like most Sky 'valued' (and I use that term loosely) customers, I do not think I should have to pay the £60. Is Sky Anytime part of the full HD package when you sign up? Also; I have a small 'Ariel like thing' upstairs connected to my desktop as the router is downstairs. Can I not just purchase another of these myself and connect it in the same way? I am also subscribed through the friends and family so I pay less for the television package (all channels, movies, sports, music etc) but full price for phone and broadband so; am I still entitled to the offer? Any advice please guys?

Anytime+ is a service available to all free of charge. There is an even simpler & cost effective way way to set it up - move your router. When sky installed your equipment they ran a phoneline to your sky box... here is how to do it.

1. Remove any micro-filters from your main socket and plug the extension directly into the outlet.
    2. Use a microfilter in the splitter at your phone point - and use that to connect your phone.
    3. Put a microfilter into the end of the phone cable by your sky box. Connect your modem cable to the standard phone outlet of the microfilter and to your Sky Box
    4. Connect your router to the ADSL socket, plug in and switch on. Connect your Ethernet cable to the back of your Sky Box.... and you are good to go

No extra expense.

If you wish to keep your router where it is - google 'homeplugs'. Much more reliable than anything wireless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure