2012 100 Day Challenge

Following on from the last couple of years I thought it was time to start a nice new New Year thread

This thread has helped me a great deal and also the lovely kerrywoman and gothrockchic

Now can it help you too?

The last few challenges have focused on not buying something that's a habit for 100 days. Now this has worked well and something else developed too.

Concentrating on using up what we have stashed away first of all then finding a feeling of joy in using something up and creating a space in the cupboards and drawers and so on

Then it became a happy habit to put £1 into a pot everytime something was used it. I did the earlier this year and saved up £40+ which I put towards a new coat. When I bought the coat I had a very big smile on my face when I thought about how I had saved up for it instead of constantly spending on shopping tv beauty offers.

This is the first year in a long time when I don't have any outstanding spending in shopping tv and that's a good feeling :T

I've got there at last - conquered one of my demons :D It took a couple of years to get there but I got there in the end.

My ideas are these. What do you think?
  1. 100 days of not buying of not doing something thats a habit.
  2. Use up as much as we can from the stocks
  3. Put £1 in the pot everytime you do - save it up for a treat you really want (not the one you habitually buy)
Everyone's welcome, there's no membership list. However, there is a cost if you want to contribute - the £1 into the pot each time so of the stocks are used up. If this doesn't apply then there's no cost at all!
final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155

Comments

• fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll start things off by saying I will not buy any Shampoo, Conditioner, hair serum, styling products, body moisturisers, hair dyes and cleansers, eye creams, toners, make up or moisturisers until I need any

I have also used up a small pot of moisturiser today meaning I have £1 to start off my saved treat fund
  • I love this thread! it was one of the first ones I did and has cured me of buying magazines for about three years now! Mum has got all my toiletries I would never use, I buy the regular stuff although my skin is rubbish and I did have a small fit of buying (pointless) skin clearing crap.

I will have have a think of what I need to stop buying.....................

1. Toys for my pets:o:o:o:o:o:o
    2. Books. not even in a charity shop.
    3. Make up (unless by some miracle I run out)
    4. NO DVDs. EVER.

thanks for starting this Fedupand Skint

xxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • fedupandskint
    Welcome aboard buffy! You sound like you've done really well too. Good luck!
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm in.....

I have two things - not buying coffee from Nero/Costa on my way to work in the mornings.....except once a week on a Wednesday, just to keep me sane.

and not buying lunch when I can easily take something in from home.

£1 for each of these per day into a pot will do me nicely.

Good luck everyone xxx
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Can I join?

I'm going to avoid
    1. toiletries until I need them
    2. clothes
    3. buying random things for my kids when I'm out as a 'treat'.

I'm getting as much as I can under control now, while I can do it and while I'm motivated. All of these challenges just spur me on.
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • fedupandskint
    welcome aboard wannabee and hypno

Here we go and start from now!

I am starting now and trying hard to stay out of the shops for beauty gift sets and reduced Christmas gifts so I need to remind myself
    DO I NEED IT? - no
    DO I WANT IT? - not really if I don't need it
    DO I NEED IT? - not at all - REMEMBER THIS!

please pop back on and let me know how you're all doing!
  • fedupandskint
    I'm also adding

NO BOOKS
    NO DVDs
    NO EXERCISE DVDs
    NO SOAP - loads already
    NO SKINCARE UNTIL ALL ARE USED UP

I hope I stick to it, in fact I'm going to write it down - the start date and finish date and the total saved tally - I need a reminder to keep me on track otherwise I tend to push it to the back of my mind and convienently forget about it
  • fedupandskint
    I've written it down while watching the timely reminder of 'confessions of a shopaholic'. Ok maybe not to that extent but certainly hits a nerve and a few chords. And so, with new determination, to not buy beauty or from shopping tv as I await my refund from them for my expensive and effective earrings (I can find suitable ones much cheaper and the same effect)

We have the following dates;
    Start date -29th Dec
    50 days in halfway - 16th Feb
    100 days end - 6th April

Here we go with a new start, let's support each other along the way and we'll be there before we know it and let's see where we end up!
  • Brilliant. 6 April doesn't seem too far... completely doable (in theory), and I so desperately need to dent my debt and save for my wedding - anything that helps me along the way has got to be worthwhile.
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • hjanea
    hjanea Posts: 121 Forumite
    Ok-no buying clothes for myself or DD, no matter how much of a bargain they are-we DONT need them!!
    Think its going to be a hard 100 days for me.
    Helen. Single mum to DD(7) and 2 siamese cats. Trying to decrease my debt and spending and increase my savings and lose weight-30lbs so far!
    Sealed pot challenge-1373-2011-£80.52!!!! .Disney savings-£378.17 + sealed pot.
    CCs-virgin1-73.58,virgin2-131.44,fluid-1650.75,sainsburys-1289.56-all 0%.Total-3145.33
    August GC- 44.91/ 250. NSDs-2/3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport