October 2015 Weddings

Comments

• Fuzzy_Duck wrote: »
    Ooh I just booked a dress appointment for January :j Very much looking forward to it! Originally I was going to book it for April but I figure you need to give yourself enough time to try things on and work out what you like.

I think the more time in advance the better, because you may need a lot of alterations etc.

We've booked our florist now and I'm all excited that it's starting to come together!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Hey Girls, now the festivities are over we need to crack on!

We went to Cheshire Oaks the other day it was only to buy me a pair of boots, decided to have a look in Paperchase and found some gorgeous wedding invitations that fit in with our Autumn theme... HALF PRICE (imagine my excitement). I did want to buy personalised ones but I love them. They were originally £10 for a pack of 10 down to £5!!! Plus matching Thankyou cards that were originally £8 for 10 and got them for £4. :j All in all it cost us £41 :T

We have also decided that for our favours we are having personalised old fashioned sweet bags with bon bons (ohs grandad owned a sweet shop and his fave was bon bons) bought the bags yesterday for £13 again in the sale.

Need to find my dress this month :eek:
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Well done on the bargain invitations skintbuthappy81; paperchase always have such lovely stationary for weddings.

Can't believe we're getting married THIS YEAR. It's quite scary yet exciting at the same time. Need to book NYC flights this month and get a short list of hotels together.
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Well done on the bargain invitations skintbuthappy81; paperchase always have such lovely stationary for weddings.

Can't believe we're getting married THIS YEAR. It's quite scary yet exciting at the same time. Need to book NYC flights this month and get a short list of hotels together.

We're going to NYC for our honeymoon as well- been meaning to book it for ages and keep getting side-tracked! I've got next week off so will squeeze in some research then. I'm already picking up the marriage authority from the registry office on Monday and have a dress appointment on Tuesday.
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fuzzy_Duck wrote: »
    We're going to NYC for our honeymoon as well- been meaning to book it for ages and keep getting side-tracked! I've got next week off so will squeeze in some research then. I'm already picking up the marriage authority from the registry office on Monday and have a dress appointment on Tuesday.

We just booked our flight from Orlando to NYC and the NYC hotel today. Lastminute seems to have some good deals on hotels at the moment and were the cheapest for the one we've booked. When are you going on your honeymoon? Hope you manage to find some nice dresses on Tuesday!
  • We are going to Orlando for 3 weeks for our honeymoon, we fly out on 3rd October so excited but it's a pain trying to arrange the honeymoon and wedding at the same time.

Fuzzy_Duck I am trying to sort out the whole marriage authority part of it at the minute, it's a pain in the backside though as we are getting married in a different county to which we live. Let us know how you get on at the dress appointment.

Starting clean 9 diet today, this is the detox before the yr of healthy eating (hopefully)
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Thanks girls, had a great time yesterday! I was really nervous but needn't have been- my consultant was lovely and totally understood that I wanted something a bit different. I'm having a dress made so get to pick my fabric- just waiting for them to pop some swatches in the post for me so I can made a decision, then I have to go back to get measured.

Currently having problems with our photographer- we only booked them for the ceremony (we have a separate photographer for the reception as there's a huge gap in-between) and they've been awful so far. Terrible communication, and despite sending the booking form and cheque for the deposit back in October they've never confirmed it or cashed in the cheque.
  • Oh Fizzy duck: That was one of our most important things the photographer and we held out to find the best person & ironically the cheapest after getting various quotes. Maybe have a ask on local selling pages on Facebook for recommendations and see whether someone else pops up?

I think compared to you girls, I am doing everything backwards lol.
    I have managed to sort some of the “big” things to do, But I still haven’t tried a dress on, Still have no outfits for anyone & I haven’t arranged the small stuff, Like, make up, hair ect.

We’re not looking to go on a honeymoon straight away. We knew it would be more chaos then we could handle arranging one whilst sorting out all things wedding, So, we’re holding out on that one.

I do have a question for you ladies, What money saving things are you doing for your wedding.? I do have a few idea’s but I keep getting told that its not traditional.? Huff….:(
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Oh Fizzy duck: That was one of our most important things the photographer and we held out to find the best person & ironically the cheapest after getting various quotes. Maybe have a ask on local selling pages on Facebook for recommendations and see whether someone else pops up?

I think compared to you girls, I am doing everything backwards lol.
    I have managed to sort some of the “big” things to do, But I still haven’t tried a dress on, Still have no outfits for anyone & I haven’t arranged the small stuff, Like, make up, hair ect.

We’re not looking to go on a honeymoon straight away. We knew it would be more chaos then we could handle arranging one whilst sorting out all things wedding, So, we’re holding out on that one.

I do have a question for you ladies, What money saving things are you doing for your wedding.? I do have a few idea’s but I keep getting told that its not traditional.? Huff….:(

Well we have got someone else for the reception- I found him highly recommended on another forum so should be okay with him! Didn't have a lot of choice for the ceremony as most photographers won't cover just one hour :( I'll check Facebook though, assuming I ever manage to cancel the first one!

Your progress sounds right to me- you've got to be careful with stuff like outfits as people might lose/gain weight before the wedding. I think nine months before the wedding is generally advised for wedding dresses, but if you're going for ready-made or something else entirely it shouldn't matter too much :) As for hair and make up, unless you have someone specific in mind or a popular date I think that can wait for a bit too.

I've done a few money saving things:

- Registry office followed by a reception in a brewery rather than a wedding venue
    - Buffet and hog roast rather than a 3 course meal
    - Serving ale instead of fizz as welcome drinks (very appropriate for a brewery ;))
    - Artificial flowers
    - Having bridesmaids and best men wearing shoes they already own
    - Cutting out anything we don't consider necessary, so not bothering with things like favours and having minimal decorations

All very non-traditional I suppose, but more and more people are scaling back their weddings so don't feel you have to have anything you don't want just because it's traditional. We cut our guest list right down as well- didn't see the point in inviting people that would hate every minute of it because it's not formal enough for their liking.
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    We just booked our flight from Orlando to NYC and the NYC hotel today. Lastminute seems to have some good deals on hotels at the moment and were the cheapest for the one we've booked. When are you going on your honeymoon? Hope you manage to find some nice dresses on Tuesday!

Forgot to say, going 26 October - 1 November hopefully :) We're getting married on 17 October so it gives us a week to relax too! I'll check out Lastminute now, thanks :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure