Well, i have got my first job seekers allowance interview tomorrow and...

I have my first Job seekers Allowance interview tomorrow .

Having had my first telephone interview thingy with all of those silly yes/no questions the other day, I know that i need to take a copy of my C.V. and some form of I.D. I do not however possess either a driving license or indeed a passport, So does anyone know what else i can take along with me that will be an acceptable form of I.D.?
I am also just wondering if i need to take anything else along with me as I am not quite sure?

My final dilemma is that of deciding on what i should wear, I was going to wear a suit but without wearing a tie, henceforth i would be being smart and formal but not too formal. i am now however lead to believe that this would still be just a tad overdressed, so does anyone who has been in a similar position perhaps have any helpful advice for me with regards to what is appropriate attire for my first JSA Interview?
I do not particularly want to appear to be overdressed but then I also have no desire to look like i live on an estate and plan on spending my benefits money on Stella and Embassy No. 1's.
Any help / Or advice on these matters would be very much appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have my first Job seekers Allowance interview tomorrow .

Having had my first telephone interview thingy with all of those silly yes/no questions the other day, I know that i need to take a copy of my C.V. and some form of I.D. I do not however possess either a driving license or indeed a passport, So does anyone know what else i can take along with me that will be an acceptable form of I.D.?
    I am also just wondering if i need to take anything else along with me as I am not quite sure?

My final dilemma is that of deciding on what i should wear, I was going to wear a suit but without wearing a tie, henceforth i would be being smart and formal but not too formal. i am now however lead to believe that this would still be just a tad overdressed, so does anyone who has been in a similar position perhaps have any helpful advice for me with regards to what is appropriate attire for my first JSA Interview?
    I do not particularly want to appear to be overdressed but then I also have no desire to look like i live on an estate and plan on spending my benefits money on Stella and Embassy No. 1's.
    Any help / Or advice on these matters would be very much appreciated, Thanks!

As far as the clothes go I do not think it matters too much as long as the clothes are clean and tidy.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    The clothes dont even need to be clean and tidy - its not a job interview.

As for ID - I think two pieces of non-photographic ID are ok - something like a utility bill and a medical card.
  • Druagh
    Druagh Posts: 93 Forumite
    I don't think that a Medical Card is acceptable ID anymore, due to the number of times that they have been used in identity theft. Any 2 of Utility Bills, Bank Statements etc are usual - i.e. something from an offical body that has your correct name and current address should do.

I would wear whatever makes you feel comforable and confident in a stressful situation. If a suit makes you feel good then go for that, if the other customers (or the Staff) are not so smartly dressed that's not your problem.

Most of all don't forget your CV, that would straight away show the Jobcentre that your 'jobsearch' is serious. And will save a good deal of Q&A in the Adviser interview.

Good luck tomorrow
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Jeans, T-Shirt and a smart-ish jacket over the top?
    I've not been on JSA but I once made the mistake of looking in the job centre for a job, and I was shocked at the general state of people..
    If you wear a suit you will prob make the staff feel dirty lol.
    Good luck though, and hope you get a job sorted soon.. :)
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • BERFFRO
    BERFFRO Posts: 253 Forumite
    I just wore casual clothes for my JSA interview, It only last's about 10 minutes tops. They just ask what were you doing previously and a quick job search and explain how to fill in your jobseeking diary.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've got mine tomorrow too, so thanks OP for starting this thread.
    To Berffro: I was told on the phone that it would take about 30-40 mins. That was by the guy on the first telephone "thingy" that op mentions and this length was also mentioned when I had a reminder call from the job centre this morning.
    To the Op I would suggest a look at this page:
    http://jobseekersadvice.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/jobseekers-agreement/

For some advice before you sort out the agreement. Seems to be you can get bullied into long commutes and long hours if you are unwary, anyway a good read.
    Good luck, I'm sure it's not as scary as we think :D.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite

I'd recommend ignoring that ridiculous page
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The only time jobcentre staff will worry about your appearance is if you've got really weirdo hair or piercings etc that might put off an employer and they think you're doing it deliberately.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Its amusing the amount of conspiracy theories that people come out with about the benefit system.
  • don't need to wear anyhting special, casual clothes will do. the person will just discuss what you were previously employed as and what job you are looking for.
    the nature of the interview is dependant on the job centre staff.

the mass presentation that they call the back to work seminar which they claim they will tell you how the job centre can get you back to work is a complete waste of time. if you have an ounce of common sense and want to work you will be doing everything that will be shown and told to you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure