Has anyone applied for a visa for the usa

We are thinking of going to disney next year, but i need a visa, ive had a look on the usa embassy site but its a bit confusing, i know that i need to fill a form in online and make an appointment and pay. Then it seems to say you need a b2 visa for holidays and that you need to show that you are going to have money while you are there, what proof do you need for this, also can you still go if you are going bankrupt. Has anyone has any experience of doing this please
Married 09/09/09

Comments

• dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Make sure you really do need a visa - the US London Embassy website vastly oversimplifies the situation.

As to proof of funds - a bank statement or two should do it, providing there's evidence of money in it.

If you haven't got the money you shouldn't really go regardless of whether they will give you a visa or not.
  • thanks, i would rather get a visa than risk it, do they expect you to have a lot of money in your account
    Married 09/09/09
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We are thinking of going to disney next year, but i need a visa, ive had a look on the usa embassy site but its a bit confusing, i know that i need to fill a form in online and make an appointment and pay. Then it seems to say you need a b2 visa for holidays and that you need to show that you are going to have money while you are there, what proof do you need for this, also can you still go if you are going bankrupt. Has anyone has any experience of doing this please

Why do you think you need a visa?
  • If you are a UK citizen (or carry a British passport) you can travel to the USA without a visa if you have a machine readable passport. If you have one of the older passports, then you need to apply for a visa.

I looked all this up a couple months ago. The info is confusing and not very clear, but it seems to take a long time and requires an interview. It is actually cheaper (and a whole lot easier) to renew your current passport. You do not need to wait for it to expire. It takes about 2 weeks. I think the visa takes a couple months.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I didn't think you needed a visa for the USA.
  • I have been to Vegas and Indiana and only needed to fill out the Green form on the plane.
    Just ask your travel agent.
    2008 winnings....:)
    1 x £5.00 voucher for amazon, Beauty box from VO5,
    2 x tickets ideal home show, Holiday to Amsterdam/freebie, Hairspray DVD,

:D
  • dzug
    If you are a UK citizen (or carry a British passport) you can travel to the USA without a visa if you have a machine readable passport. If you have one of the older passports, then you need to apply for a visa.

I looked all this up a couple months ago. The info is confusing and not very clear, but it seems to take a long time and requires an interview. It is actually cheaper (and a whole lot easier) to renew your current passport. You do not need to wait for it to expire. It takes about 2 weeks. I think the visa takes a couple months.

ALL currently valid British passports are machine readable and ALL meet the US requirements - ie biometric data for the more recent ones.
  • dzug wrote: »
    ALL currently valid British passports are machine readable and ALL meet the US requirements - ie biometric data for the more recent ones.

It's all in the issue dates. I last renewed mine in 2001 and it is in the old format. Passports issued before the advent of biometric data would not meet US requirements. So OP would need first to check his/her passport (series of figures on the bottom of the back page with your picture).
  • dzug
    It's all in the issue dates. I last renewed mine in 2001 and it is in the old format. Passports issued before the advent of biometric data would not meet US requirements. So OP would need first to check his/her passport (series of figures on the bottom of the back page with your picture).

Yes they do. The US requirements apply to NEW passports issued after the date the biometric rules came in. They will continue to accept the old ones (ie machine readable only, no biometrics) until they expire.
  • I owe you an apology Dzug :o . You are correct. Mine is not machine readable because it was issued outside of the UK. I am due to travel soon, so I have to get it renewed in January. Didn't like the hideous picture on it anyway ;).

This forum is great for clarifying issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure