Upgrading car driving licence from automatic to manual

Hi

A friend of mine has had an automatic licence for several years and would like to upgrade to manual.

Would he need to do the theory test again? He did the original theory test before they brought in the hazard perception test. Is the practical test the same as the standard manual test, ie not a shortened version?

Is his automatic licence affected if he fails the test, eg on a Dangerous fault? Does the examiner have the power to revoke that licence? (Presumably not).

If I want to allow him to practise in my car, presumably we need L plates and the usual rules apply, eg not going on motorways etc?

How does insurance work? Do we say his licence is 'provisional'? Are we likely to get a cheaper premium than with a 'genuine' learner driver, ie does he get credit for his experience in driving automatics?

Thanks

Comments

• jd82
    jd82 Posts: 306 Forumite
    As far as I know his automatic licence will not be revoked if he fails a manual but everything else e.g insurance I think he reverts to provisional but his no claims etc will count towards getting a discount.

I had earned one years no claims before passing my test.

Once has passes a manual test all his previous no claims history will count and his insurance will be a lot cheaper than a person who has just passed.
  • Hi

Would he need to do the theory test again?
    No he should not:
    From the DirectGov site (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/TheoryTest/DG_4022531)
    If, however, you want to upgrade within a vehicle category you will not normally need to take a theory test, for example, if you have a full automatic car licence and you want a manual car licence you will not have to take a theory test.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure