Npower switch saving me £95 a month on gas alone!!

2»

Comments

• IggyB
    IggyB Posts: 24 Forumite
    I would echo the advice above and strongly urge you to check the NPower figures via a comparison site using your actual annual usage figures, or calculate yourself if you're confident in doing so. I fell for one of their doorstep deals :o (but he really was a very good salesman - I still admire his techniques) thinking I would check figures afterwards and cancel if he was wrong before transfer went through.

Needless to say I never got round to it and transfer went ahead. I then found time to check figures and, surprise surprise, they were more expensive than my then current supplier Eon. :(

When I looked into it NPower even had cheaper deals available online than the one offered by the doorstep salesman. Think about it....which is most likely to be more efficient/cheaper for them?

A) paying a salesforce to pound the streets, spend time calling their call centre to set up your new deal, filling in paper forms and then paying the rep a nice commission or

B) automatically process an application online after you've filled in all the details.

Unless they have decided to offer an unbelievable deal via the door salesman, and its yet to happen in my area, the online tariffs are in my experience almost always cheaper. The door salesman are there to catch those who don't have on line access and those who don't/can't/won't verify the deal for themselves.

Moral is don't ever trust what they tell you on the doorstep. Do your own research everytime.

Suggest you use a comparison site as recommended by MSE, and collect cashback or wine etc by switching through them. You can do this almost immediately unless you've signed for a fixed period deal with penalties for changing early. Read the small print on your contract.

Good luck!
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sez38 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Premier! I've checked it out and yes they're charging me 3 times too much as they think I have a metric meter when I have an imperial cubic ft meter. Makes you think though - how many others have been overcharged who won't have checked their bills? Scary!

They think you have a metric meter but you actually have an imperial meter?

Oh dear, they are actually charging you 3x too little! :eek:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • tttf
    tttf Posts: 6 Forumite
    not all door to door energy salesman con people ive been working in the industry now for 4 years have worked for 3 of the big 6 so dont tarnish everyone ;)
  • Me too dont believe anything salesman tell you they are liars
    deanos wrote: »
    I agree .

But most do :)
    tttf wrote: »
    not all door to door energy salesman con people ive been working in the industry now for 4 years have worked for 3 of the big 6 so dont tarnish everyone ;)
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tttf wrote: »

There speaks an honest salesman.:p

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2272329
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My previous monthly derect debit to British Gas was £70 for electric & £135 for gas. :eek:
    Imagine my total amazement when they did their calculations & confirmed that whilst me electric consumption seemed to correct & would not change they could lower my gas from £135 to £40 a month!!
    Needless to say I've signed up.

I wouldn't start celebrating until you've actually received your first bills and are sure that the DD's you're paying NPower cover your consumption.

Sorry to say, it's the oldest con in the book by doorstep energy 'salesmen' I don't even open the door to them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    I wouldn't start celebrating until you've actually received your first bills and are sure that the DD's you're paying NPower cover your consumption.

Sorry to say, it's the oldest con in the book by doorstep energy 'salesmen' I don't even open the door to them.

This week the phone rang and it was rep Sottish Power, I dont normally bother to listen to what salesmen have to say but this time I did, he asked me what am I paying per month for my DD for my dual fuel and who am I with, so I told him.

He instantly said we can knock your payments down £57 less if you move with us......well I said how can you say how much my bills are going to be when you dont know what my yearly comsumption is ?.......a bit of a silence then he say well how much are you paying for your elec and gas units, so I went to the file and gave him the prices , his voice went quiet and just said oh we cant compete with those prices, No goodbyes, just gone .

If I was that gullible being told that I could save £57 per month I expect he as found new customers that way,, before he even knew what prices im paying now he could get another unassuming customer, ...not good sales techique is it ...be very wary I say... no way was I going to change suppliers in any case ,glad I didnt hang up , just to find out how they sell ....
  • Cue the OP's next thread. a year from now.

"owe Npower £2000" Help.

A salesman at your door would only put you on Npowers standard tariff so assuming you were on BG standard as well I fail to see where your saving is coming from. You may find if you are in credit with BG all you have to do is change the amount you pay to them.

The sales man I suspect has left you with a payment of gas well below your consumption expect a huge bill.

As Premier said check who is the best for you consumption and don't listen to those numptys at your door.
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • well used the op monthly gas spend on a comparison site and although there is a saving it is no where near what his drop in monthly payment suggests-well conned:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure