Have you tried to claim compensation for flight delays?

Comments

• nedski
    nedski Posts: 67 Forumite
    I wrote to Austrian Airlines claiming compensation for a delay for me and my partner from 2011, and they just paid up!
    Result! 800 euros!
    N.
  • Cessj
    Cessj Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi, this is my first posting, though I've been following this thread for a while. I submitted a claim to Virgin for a delayed flight to Barbados VS29 on 16th August 2011. The flight was delayed for about 3 minutes just under 5 hours (so we were only entitled to claim 300 euros as opposed to 600 for delays of 5 hours.
    Helped by the advice on this board, I submitted a claim on 18th August this year, giving the obligatory 14 day notice, went away on holiday (admittedly, Virgin again, to same place, same flight number, though thankfully, no delays this time and flight even took off and arrived early). Anyway, no word from Virgin so last week emailed them a reminder and asking for an acknowledgement that they had received my claim.
    This morning. Result! Two cheques arrived for 253.00 each, one in my husband's name and one in my name. Very happy as the refunded amount is equal yo the cost of a new ticket to Barbados - I'm planning another trip already!
    Interestingly, no reason for the delay was cited, and the mean so and so only paid out for 3 hours but I'm not complaining.
    I do have a query however.Virgin has very helpfully made out the cheques to each of the four individual members of my travel party, even though I paid for the tickets. In fact, one of the members doesn't have a bank account, being aged 13. Should I return them all to Virgin and ask for a cheque for the full amount to be reissued in my name? Thanks in advance for advice.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you were delayed by 4 hrs 57 mins, you wd be entitled to €600 each. The reduction applies to flights delayed between 3-4 hours.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    My United flight to the USA was cancelled and the delay amounted to more than 24 hours. Accommodation and meal vouchers were provided at the time. My claim under EU regulation 261/2004 was submitted, and United responded by issuing 2 travel vouchers to the amount of $600 for each of us. I am happy with this, as we visit the US evey year to see our family.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • I submitted a claim to British Airways for a 15 hour flight delay from Johannesburg to London, I did this by email on 16th September 2013 and other than an automatic reply email I heard nothing from them. I then emailed them again in October to which I received a reply on 16th October 2013 stating I was due compensation of 600.00 EUR, which is equivalent to 510.29 GBP and I would receive a cheque under separate cover. I received the cheque on 19th October 2013.

I am very pleased with the quick payment from British Airways. I was expecting to have to wait around 3 months after reading some of the feedback on here. :j
  • Hi
    Followed the template and process described by MSE. Had to appeal to CAA who were very busy and needed a followup letter.
    Now, after almost a year, KLM have conceded the case and offered a ticket voucher for £668 or cash of £501.

If you are entitled to compensation - fight for it.
    Thanks MSE,
    (on behalf of my daughter who experienced the delay and now has some cash to help with uni expenses)
  • hi i claimed for flight delays to thomas cook last week and they have replied but offered the refund in vouchers what do i have to do or say if i would rather have the cash as voucher only valid for 12 months.could anybody please help advice most welcome thank you..
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nick_Page wrote: »

It was a code share and we flew from Madrid to Ecuador on our honeymoon with Iberia.

On our way back our flight was just cancelled for a day with no notice and no reason. As they put us up in a hotel and put us on the flight the next day I did not try to claim for that too as it seemed like they had done what they should have in that situation.

Your tickets (and contract) were with LAN, which is not an EU airline. Your journey home was not a departure from within the EU. Therefore you were not protected by EU law and could not have claimed.

However, you did well getting compensation for the delay to your outward journey.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tiamaria42 wrote: »
    hi i claimed for flight delays to thomas cook last week and they have replied but offered the refund in vouchers what do i have to do or say if i would rather have the cash as voucher only valid for 12 months.could anybody please help advice most welcome thank you..

When you say 'refund', do you mean that or compensation? I assume it's the (specified rate) compensation in which case, as Centipede100 says, ask for cash. You could point out that doesn't expire after 12 months! Oh, it's what the law entitles you to also!
  • Success.

My flight was cancelled back from Madrid in March 2014. We were told at the time the cabin crew had come down ill and a doctor had been called. Shortly after, the flight was switched to cancelled. I sent a claim to BA beginning of April to ask about compensation.

The initial reply from customer services came back as a "Sorry, No". They had stated the flight had been cancelled as due to delays, the crew could not fly without exceeding their hours. No back up crew was available. I asked them in my response WHY there had been a delay as this was not mentioned in the reply. I also stated I would be seeking legal advice whilst waiting for their reply.

They then said they were forwarding my e-mail onto the claims department, who came back and offered to pay the 250 Euro (£206.50).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure