Advice needed

Options
Hi guys

I need some advice if I could

I am trying to sort my mums finances out. She got into difficulty a long time ago (20 years ago at least) and she is still paying for some of these debts
I have pulled her file up and only one is on there as showing in an arrangement none of the others are there but she is paying small monthly payments to them all
She is talking bout going through an iva but I have told her to stop for now
She was tortured by a few of the companies and that's why she is making small payments but as she is getting older she is getting more upset about it as it's been there for so long
I will happily take them to task one by one but if the debt is not showing as an arrangement as one is where do she stand?
she was dealing with eurodebt before (at least last 10 years) but they have now gone and it looks was though these companies are adding on interest despite eurodebt sorting the arrangement out

HELP:mad:

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Few more details needed, is she using a fee charging debt management company to pay these debts ?

If so, stop immediately, what kind of debts are they ?

How much does she owe in total ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Katiebabe

Welcome to MSE. I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s situation, 20 years is a very long time to have been paying back debts and I can understand why she is upset. The reason most debts won’t be showing on her credit file is that a debt is removed 6 years after the date of the default. I’m afraid that doesn’t mean she no longer owes the debt though. If there has never been more than 6 years where she has not made a payment there’s no case to be made that creditors can’t pursue her.

As Sourcrates says, a little more information would be helpful. Have you any idea of your mum’s total level of debt? Does she have any assets? And how much would you say she can afford to pay on a monthly basis? All of this will help work out what her best option is from here.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Neocon
    Neocon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    "Take them to task"?
    Seriously?
    :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income