Email spam

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Froggitt wrote: »

Harsh.......not at all. They probably sent out tens of thousands of their spam. They deserve to have them back.
    they send spam to auto generated emails, I have had them to emails i dont use and never give out, but you returning an email to them just tells them they have hit a live email address and then they will sell that email on to other spammers, best advice is to report the email with headers to spamcop and them delete it, NEVER reply to a spam email
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    they send spam to auto generated emails, I have had them to emails i dont use and never give out, but you returning an email to them just tells them they have hit a live email address and then they will sell that email on to other spammers, best advice is to report the email with headers to spamcop and them delete it, NEVER reply to a spam email

Nope I didnt reply to their email. However they are now on 5,000 mailing lists now.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Froggitt
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    You stated that sending bulk emails is a useless tool. If that's the case, they have already lost their money on buying an ineffective mailing list. Why waste your time with sending emails back?

Its useless if the email address they used now receives a few thousand spam emails a week, such that they can no longer identify real enquiries in the haystack.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Its useless if the email address they used now receives a few thousand spam emails a week, such that they can no longer identify real enquiries in the haystack.

But like i said above if the email is from a spoof address and it contains a link to a website where people can enquire about the house, then they will receive none of the spam emails and it won't effect them at all.

Here is a website to demonstrate how it works:

https://emkei.cz

You will see that you can choose any "from" address that you want when sending the email, it doesn't matter if it exists or not.
  • Froggitt
    takman wrote: »
    But like i said above if the email is from a spoof address and it contains a link to a website where people can enquire about the house, then they will receive none of the spam emails and it won't effect them at all.

Here is a website to demonstrate how it works:

https://emkei.cz

You will see that you can choose any "from" address that you want when sending the email, it doesn't matter if it exists or not.
    Their site was at https://www.pulte.com/homes/california/northern-california/san-mateo/promenade-209763

Their email address was pulte@pulte.com

Looks like a proper "contact us" type email address to me.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Their site was at https://www.pulte.com/homes/california/northern-california/san-mateo/promenade-209763

Their email address was pulte@pulte.com

Looks like a proper "contact us" type email address to me.

Using email checkers online it does appear to accept incoming mail, which is strange when they are apparently sending out spam.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2017 at 8:55AM
    If you dislike spam emails so much why contribute to the industry by generating further spam. It seems childish to me.
  • Froggitt
    pmduk wrote: »
    If you dislike spam emails so much why contribute to the industry by generating further spam. It seems childish to me.

My aim is to discourage them to spam any more. Its not as if Im spamming innocent recipients.....like they did.
  • Froggitt
    takman wrote: »
    Using email checkers online it does appear to accept incoming mail, which is strange when they are apparently sending out spam.

I suspect theyve bought an email list, being told it is a few thousand qualified potential expensive home buyers in California.

They wont be buying any more such lists.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It might have been more constructive to email the local Better Business Bureau covering their area
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure