Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

Comments

• guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A fair bit, since Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson is one of those Lebanese women, and is married to Jennifer Wilson, who may be from here.

Ruth Davidson describes the conservatives as "the party of equal marriage" when in fact more conservative MPs voted against it than for it when it was passed. A lot of media hysteria and spin going on at the minute.

As for demands, it would make no sense for the DUP to demand anything in regard to GB, I expect them to focus on things like:

- replacement cash for lost EU funding (eg farming subsidies)
    - lower APD for NI
    - corporation tax control

The first two would be good for both communities, third is up for discussion but would be either good or bad for both. Playing a sectarian card wouldn't do them any good.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    They're not taking their seats.

I was referring to the DUP.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 June 2017 at 1:03PM
    Whenever I hear the song "Galway girl" I now think of Arlene foster, may's Galway girl
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No. As I say, there's an obligation to vote for people you don't really agree with to provide an obstruction to those you really can't stand.

There only are 15,000 free paisleyterians. That, citizens of Northern Ireland, is a stunning 1%, and anecdotally at least, there's a drift away from the sect. These people are grossly over represented in the DUP. A bit like the DUP now keeping Theresa in number 10.

Their wee clergy training school at Laurencetown is gone. Pretty funny cheating scandal there a while back. It's a sin.

I agree with that. Im a DUP voter but Im not anti abortion, anti-LBGT or against gay marriage, far from it as I think most DUP voters are. But I feel myself cornered with the DUP my only real option. The UUP for whatever reason arent turning my head in their direction. By the way, not 1 candidate from any party called with me to ask for my vote. They know they dont need to bother as we are being channeled into 2 groups. Prod= DUP Catholic=SF
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • System
    Am I right in thinking that Protestantism was set up just so Henry viii could remarry?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Am I right in thinking that Protestantism was set up just so Henry viii could remarry?
    A bit off topic don't you think?

PS. Martin Luther might dispute your assertion I should think if he was alive today.
  • System
    Luther, Lucifer, same thing...
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 8:55PM
    CEON44 wrote: »
    I agree with that. Im a DUP voter but Im not anti abortion, anti-LBGT or against gay marriage, far from it as I think most DUP voters are. But I feel myself cornered with the DUP my only real option. The UUP for whatever reason arent turning my head in their direction. By the way, not 1 candidate from any party called with me to ask for my vote. They know they dont need to bother as we are being channeled into 2 groups. Prod= DUP Catholic=SF

Not trying to be funny but if you don't agree with any of the DUP UDA views above why would you even vote for them? What policy, unique to the DUP UDA attracts you to them? For me, the views listed above are typical, they are in their genetic makeup. You couldn't put a rolling paper between them and the other unionist parties on non-socio political views. I'm from a family of ex diehard DUPers but the corruption and scandal turned them. I can't for the life of me see why it hasn't turned all rational people. Unless it's fear of the demographics, but you can't stop the tide with intolerance, it just further motivates nationalists, converts soft catholic unionists and takes us closer to the 50% plus one.

The border poll only has to be won once. Unionism has to continue to win forever. The DUP UDA isn't the kind of party to bring people with them. All they are doing now is consolidating in a sectarian headcount. If the moderates don't come back, this is all just a journey to a "lost" or "won" border poll.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ...and now the rest of the U.K. are going to think we're all like that. I'm not. You're not. That's what we have to represent us. Therefore something is wrong.
    Part of what's awry of course is the whole thing is a sectarian head count. Arlene ensured a fine turn out for Sinn Fein by slagging off people who learn Irish as crocodiles, supposedly. Jorry booffted the DUP by uving the Fankill bomber as a campaigner. It's been said before, but when you've enemies like these at election time , you don't need friends
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny but if you don't agree with any of the DUP UDA views above why would you even vote for them? What policy, unique to the DUP UDA attracts you to them? For me, the views listed above are typical, they are in their genetic makeup. You couldn't put a rolling paper between them and the other unionist parties on non-socio political views. I'm from a family of ex diehard DUPers but the corruption and scandal turned them. I can't for the life of me see why it hasn't turned all rational people. Unless it's fear of the demographics, but you can't stop the tide with intolerance, it just further motivates nationalists, converts soft catholic unionists and takes us closer to the 50% plus one.

The boarder poll only has to be won once. Unionism has to continue to win forever. The DUP UDA isn't the kind of party to bring people with them. All they are doing now is consolidating in a sectarian headcount. If the moderates don't come back, this is all just a journey to a "lost" or "won" boarder poll.

It's all wound up with the voter's dilemma of wondering what the point is in voting for a candidate unless everyone else does. Therefore vote for the candidate seen as the likely victor. These days that's the DUP or Sinn Fein. Vote while holding your nose.
    As above, the Sinn Fein/ IRA approach of the last forty years or so has been far from conducive to reasonable politics. Do you know anyone who was persuaded to alter their views by their antics? Since the united ireland was the radical option, the fact that there has been an absence of change in voting patterns towards some bright future where you can forget your past ( copyright, bob Marley) is their fault, not that of those who have failed to be persuaded.

We used to have a boarder in our house. We evicted him. The border hasn't changed though.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport