Courier advice.

Options
I'm bidding for a guitar on Ebay.I will need to arrange a courier . Any firms recommended?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very risky.
    Many dont cover musical instruments.
    you are at the mercy of the sellers packaging
    they dont travel well
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    Options
    It will be in a made to measure case?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ipri wrote: »
    It will be in a made to measure case?

Will that protect it against several hundred kilos of other parcels on top or being dropped from a height?

As above, I'm assuming seller has already said this will be OK, not many sellers will allow it though, is the seller happy to box and secure and then weigh the box to get an accurate quote for you! And are they happy to wait in for collection? You will also need to find (again as above) a courier that will insure a musical instrument and abide by their packing and volumetric weight requirements.

Alternatively find a man with a van to collect as a one off , but again make sure you are adequately insured as by arranging the courier yourself you will struggle to get much comeback on the seller if item is damaged en route.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm assuming this is collection only?

There will be a very good reason they are not offering postage themselves when shipping something like this.

It is a risk.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I frequent a guitar forum where this is regularly discussed. The consensus is to use UPS booked via Transglobal express as their insurance covers musical instruments. I have used UPS for guitars many times and never had a problem.

Are you sure your seller will pack it properly, eg in a hard case and then in a proper guitar shipping carton?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure