PIP change of circumstances start ESA to UC?

Options
Hi :):)

I have to tell PIP about a change of circumstances but I have a question. I receive ESA (income related), would that be affected ie could a change in the PIP level move me to Universal Credit? My area goes Full Service May 2018.

I know my ESA may drop (if my PIP is lowered or removed) but my question is would it start a Universal Credit application?

Thanks.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    Hi :):)

I have to tell PIP about a change of circumstances but I have a question. I receive ESA (income related), would that be affected ie could a change in the PIP level move me to Universal Credit? My area goes Full Service May 2018.

I know my ESA may drop (if my PIP is lowered or removed) but my question is would it start a Universal Credit application?

Thanks.
    To answer your question, no it wouldn't mean a move to UC.

Why do you have to report a change of circumstances? Has your condition improved? If you tell us why you're reporting this change then we can help you further.

When is your review? What award do you have at the moment?
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and answer much appreciated :)

The change of circumstances is due to a worsened health condition. My original PIP went to tribunal and when I won that the DWP gave me the award until 2026 (approximately 10 years, their letter said they'll contact me 'after 2026'). My award is Enhanced for daily living and Standard mobility.

I was worried I had to rush to tell them to get it in before the Universal Credit change to the area. I've struggled to get my head around UC and it seems even more difficult now the whole change leaves me struggling to understand it.

I'm getting help with the PIP forms so having a bit of time to sort all that is good. I realise there's a risk filling out new forms but that's what all their paperwork asks me to do and my mobility needs have changed too.

Thanks again.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and answer much appreciated :)

The change of circumstances is due to a worsened health condition. My original PIP went to tribunal and when I won that the DWP gave me the award until 2026 (approximately 10 years, their letter said they'll contact me 'after 2026'). My award is Enhanced for daily living and Standard mobility.

I was worried I had to rush to tell them to get it in before the Universal Credit change to the area. I've struggled to get my head around UC and it seems even more difficult now the whole change leaves me struggling to understand it.

I'm getting help with the PIP forms so having a bit of time to sort all that is good. I realise there's a risk filling out new forms but that's what all their paperwork asks me to do and my mobility needs have changed too.

Thanks again.
    Have you already reported those changes? With a maximum award length you're taking a huge risk! That's not a risk i'd be prepared to take, especially as you had to take it to Tribunal to get the award in the first place.

If you haven't reported those changes then i'd think carefully before you do. If you've already reported them then i'd advice sending in as much evidence as possible because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence. Good luck.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    It does indeed tell you to report any changes but people rarely do, especially when they've got worse. Risking losing everything you already have just too risky. Not many people are lucky enough to have a 10 year award.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like poppy, I'd be careful about notifying the DWP of a worsening of circumstances when you are already in receipt of Enhanced Care.

If the changed circumstance do not demonstrably meet the criteria for Enhanced mobility -

1. Planning and following journeys.
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points.
    c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points.
    d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points.
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.

2. Moving around.
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

- then you will placing your current award at risk for no reason.

If you advise a change of circumstances, the DWP will reassess you. The DM may refer back to your previous assessment (not the Tribunal Service decision notice which increased this award).

If you decide to go down this route - then, at the very least:
    1) Copy them with the TS decision notice
    2) Submit current letters from your GP / HCP confirming that your condition, and capabilities, have worsened since the TS decision - and now how (and why) you meet the Enhanced mobility crieria (12 points).
    3) Submit evidence from carers / family confirming this, and citing examples.
    4) Include compelling evidence (i.e a diary), showing examples of how you still meet the criteria for your current award - and now should be also awarded Enhanced mobility.

Any change to your PIP award will not move you onto UC.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Jemma-T
    Options
    Big thanks to poppy12345 and Alice Holt -great advice and information.

I'm relaxed now about the UC thing and will think through the PIP. The tribunal said "It is not appropriate to fix a term" so none of my information has changed except the worsening mobility and getting help there would be a massive change in my life (Blue Badge especially -I have tried for that separately but it's been impossible).

I don't remember all the details but I moved from DLA to ESA and the tribunal (got a letter from the tribunal clerk I believe) put a stay on the hearing and asked me to sign a consent form to contact my doctors. The 10 year thing surprised me to be honest.

Lots for me to think about, thanks again.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Big thanks to poppy12345 and Alice Holt -great advice and information.

I'm relaxed now about the UC thing and will think through the PIP. The tribunal said "It is not appropriate to fix a term" so none of my information has changed except the worsening mobility and getting help there would be a massive change in my life (Blue Badge especially -I have tried for that separately but it's been impossible).

I don't remember all the details but I moved from DLA to ESA and the tribunal (got a letter from the tribunal clerk I believe) put a stay on the hearing and asked me to sign a consent form to contact my doctors. The 10 year thing surprised me to be honest.

Lots for me to think about, thanks again.
    If you scored at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of mobility then this will automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

You mean you moved from DLA to PIP. ESA is a totally different benefit, it's for those with a limited capability for work.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Jemma-T
    Options
    Yes, sorry I meant DLA to PIP.

Early 2017 the tribunal said:

activity 1d. [Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.]They said they left the DLC "undisturbed".

A Blue Badge would be an incredible relief. Would I gamble? Couldn't handle a UC and a PIP form but now the UC is settled, yes.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Yes, sorry I meant DLA to PIP.

Early 2017 the tribunal said:

activity 1d. [Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.]They said they left the DLC "undisturbed".

A Blue Badge would be an incredible relief. Would I gamble? Couldn't handle a UC and a PIP form but now the UC is settled, yes.
    As it's following and planning a journey then in my opinion it's more of a risk the the moving around part. Others may disagree. When you go out do you go alone or does someone go with you? What makes you think you qualify for the Enhanced mobility in following and planning a journey? More info will allow us to help you further.

Following and planning a journey will not automatically qualify you for a Blue Badge even with Enhanced mobility. It's at least 8 points in the moving around part.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure