Specavers contact lenses and solution

Options
Does anyone know what the actual difference is between their various types of solution? Used to have monthly lenses and the green pack solution, but now have fortnightly and the "ultra vision" solution. Have a full green bottle of solution left but only a week of the current one, went to get some more and it's £21 for 3 bottles which is ludicrous. Is there any difference or is it just a marketing scam?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes there's a difference, the Specsavers solutions are repackaged solutions that were made by cooper vision (it's been a few years since I worked for speccys so this might have changed). They have peroxide, the green box, blue box and purple boxes all have different preserving agents in them so work better for different lenses. As an optom I never saw the need to change a solution unless the patient was showing signs of not tolerating the old solution but I know Specsavers had a push to get everyone onto one or the other at one point as it was more profitable.

Why did you change lenses? Were you having issues with dry eye or protein build up?
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Yes there's a difference, the Specsavers solutions are repackaged solutions that were made by cooper vision (it's been a few years since I worked for speccys so this might have changed). They have peroxide, the green box, blue box and purple boxes all have different preserving agents in them so work better for different lenses. As an optom I never saw the need to change a solution unless the patient was showing signs of not tolerating the old solution but I know Specsavers had a push to get everyone onto one or the other at one point as it was more profitable.

Why did you change lenses? Were you having issues with dry eye or protein build up?
    Had a slight issue with irritation under my eye lid so it was suggested that I try a thinner lens, so went from monthlies to fortnightlies.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    They've probably changed the solution at the same time in case you were reacting to the preservative.

I love fortnightly lenses as I personally got on best with acuvue oasys cleaned with peroxide but I'd never prescribe them unless I absolutely had to as compliance with them was rubbish. Had so many people turn up with month old fortnightly lenses in their eyes, nightmare fits.
  • adonis10
    Options
    I cannot believe how unsuitable the fortnightly lenses are! I have had to buy spares from Vision Direct because they last 1 week tops; yesterday morning I put a new one in and when I put it in this morning it felt horrible so washed it etc. to no avail and had to open a new one, which was absolutely fine.

Could this be because they are not suited to my eyes or perhaps the solution I am using? I am using the 2nd one (easyvision allpurpose) https://www.specsavers.co.uk/contact-lenses/categories/solutions

Which other could I try to sort out this issue? I am simply not buying the recommended one from specsavers at £7/bottle, I am considering this one as it is a much more sensible price - http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/solutions-eye-care/everclear-flat-pack-multi-purpose-solution-3-pack
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    My husband has the lenses sent to him by mail & I noticed that Specsavers had changed his solution to the all purpose instead of his usual peroxide.

As he changed to varifocals we queried this with his store & was told that as the all purpose solution was now less irritant customers were being swopped over.

As I have the peroxide it makes life easier when we go away to have the same solution so we've got them to change his back
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    I cannot believe how unsuitable the fortnightly lenses are! I have had to buy spares from Vision Direct because they last 1 week tops; yesterday morning I put a new one in and when I put it in this morning it felt horrible so washed it etc. to no avail and had to open a new one, which was absolutely fine.

Could this be because they are not suited to my eyes or perhaps the solution I am using? I am using the 2nd one (easyvision allpurpose) https://www.specsavers.co.uk/contact-lenses/categories/solutions

Which other could I try to sort out this issue? I am simply not buying the recommended one from specsavers at £7/bottle, I am considering this one as it is a much more sensible price - http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/solutions-eye-care/everclear-flat-pack-multi-purpose-solution-3-pack

Depends on the fortnightly, Johnson and Johnson I always found like to be cleaned in peroxide, Specsavers had an own brand one in yellow packaging and that was just a nightmare of a lens in general.
  • adonis10
    Options
    Depends on the fortnightly, Johnson and Johnson I always found like to be cleaned in peroxide, Specsavers had an own brand one in yellow packaging and that was just a nightmare of a lens in general.

These.. http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/acuvue-oasys?business=adwords-product&gclid=CN_MqP2p4NQCFYK97QodVOsIIw
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Those lenses definitely prefer peroxide, is that what Specsavers were trying to sell you? The cleaning barrel would have a black disc inside it to neutralise the bleach
  • adonis10
    Options
    Those lenses definitely prefer peroxide, is that what Specsavers were trying to sell you? The cleaning barrel would have a black disc inside it to neutralise the bleach

Not sure if that is what they were trying to sell.

No, I just have a normal white plastic case to store them in.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Options
    I've never dabbled with fortnightly /monthly lenses. I only use dailies though i do double dip them, ie whip them out on day one,give them a rub and a rinse in some soaking solution and slip them in a lens case overnight with clean soaking solution. Every other day i thorughly clean the case with hot water and anti microbial spray and let it air dry. Note, i am not recommening this, this is my personal choice :)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure