Spoilt Cake

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A0503 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too. It isn't what was agreed, there was no customer service or care and I would also be tempted to publish the pictures and make others aware! She shouldn't be running a business and charging people money if she can't provide the goods.

And £300 is a very very cheap price for a 4 tier cake. She got what she paid for more or less. She did not pay anything like the 'professional' price, so why should she get the product she hasn't paid for.
    And OP did mention this baker was running things from home. NOT A PRO....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A0503 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too. It isn't what was agreed, there was no customer service or care and I would also be tempted to publish the pictures and make others aware! She shouldn't be running a business and charging people money if she can't provide the goods.
    Fairy lights has already addressed your 'unprofessional' comment. Why would you expect an amateur to be professional?

On what grounds do you say the baker is 'lazy'?
    It sounds to me that she was out of her depth and struggled to meet the OP's brief.

I wonder how the OP found this baker.
    Personal recommendation?
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was Facebook.
  • arbrighton wrote: »
    And £300 is a very very cheap price for a 4 tier cake. She got what she paid for more or less. She did not pay anything like the 'professional' price, so why should she get the product she hasn't paid for.
    And OP did mention this baker was running things from home. NOT A PRO....

Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

£300 sounds like a lot of money to me!
  • A0503
    A0503 Posts: 90 Forumite
    If I was on my wedding day I wouldn't be stopping anyone eating the cake, I would enjoy the day and deal with it later. Its about the level of service provided which in my eyes is not worth the price paid.
  • A0503
    A0503 Posts: 90 Forumite
    PollyCat.. if the baker felt like she couldn't achieve the standards required then why not raise this with the customer prior to the wedding? Instead, she made a badly made cake, used the weather as an excuse and then made no effort to apologise to the customer. That is lazy customer service.
  • A0503 wrote: »
    PollyCat.. if the baker felt like she couldn't achieve the standards required then why not raise this with the customer prior to the wedding? Instead, she made a badly made cake, used the weather as an excuse and then made no effort to apologise to the customer. That is lazy customer service.

The lady's foreign.

I blame Brexit.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

Mine was about £125 I think - that was in 1989!
  • Mine was about £125 I think - that was in 1989!

So about £300 in today's money.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

£300 is cheap, i'd say it's a starting price for 4 tiers. You can pay what you like but for £300 i wouldn't be expecting a brilliant cake.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    £300 is cheap, i'd say it's a starting price for 4 tiers. You can pay what you like but for £300 i wouldn't be expecting a brilliant cake.

You can get 4 tiers from M&S for just over £200.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/wedding-cakes/wedding-cakes/traditional-wedding-cakes?intid=FW_WDCakes_Tile1_TraditionalCakes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure