Overpaid - no refund !!!!!!

Hi all :)

i'm going around in circles.

CSA closed and CMS opened. Turns out an over payment of £1700 has been made yet the CSA wont refund as its "detrimental to the children" from my previous relationship (i also have a young child at home)

complaints have yet to call me back (since March) and ive called every couple of weeks chasing it up.

The CSA have taken money from me which legally they shouldnt have done and now wont pay it back. CMS have said they can't get involved as it sits with the CSA and not them

ARGGGHHH what do i do... any advice is VERY much welcomed.

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I don't know. But I DO know that where I have had problems with government departments in the past, my MP has been very helpful. (I have been lucky in having an exceptional MP. Fingers crossed he will still be there next week.)

Of course, you don't have an MP until Friday. But it might be worth writing then......
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • poppet2014
    poppet2014 Posts: 11 Forumite
    That's great thank you, was thinking of doing that as a last resort. Maybe i need to get something drafted up and ready to go.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depending on the circumstances your ex may not have to repay it but if that is the case you will be entitled to a refund from the public purse.

They will then try to recover it from your ex.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    poppet2014 wrote: »
    Hi all :)

i'm going around in circles.

CSA closed and CMS opened. Turns out an over payment of £1700 has been made yet the CSA wont refund as its "detrimental to the children" from my previous relationship (i also have a young child at home)

complaints have yet to call me back (since March) and ive called every couple of weeks chasing it up.

The CSA have taken money from me which legally they shouldnt have done and now wont pay it back. CMS have said they can't get involved as it sits with the CSA and not them

ARGGGHHH what do i do... any advice is VERY much welcomed.

Are you certain there were not arrears?
    These figures don't just magically appear, you get things in writing, surely you may have been aware you were over paying much earlier in the process? Before the CMS case started .
  • Hello MSE,

I asked CSA to look into my payments to my ex wife as I believed that he was no longer in Higher education some three years ago.... To cut along story short they failed over three years to look into this matter and said it was not for them to prove and that when they asked my ex she said he was in higher education.... It took me time to find out that he was in work and she had been claiming money fraudulently and I now need advice how to get money back.

As others on here have said they are quick to take it but not in returning it! can she be prosecuted?

£380 over three years is alot of money

Colin2129
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    ‘Detrimental to the children’ doesn’t wash when a landlord is ready to evict a single parent from rented accommodation for rent arrears.

It’s a cop out by CMS.

What you can do if you feel strongly about it is to go to the small claims court and ensure you name CMS as co respondents.

You may get your money back at a rate of something like £10 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure