Redundancy Looming

The business I am working for has gone into administration, therefor all our stores will be closing and within time all the staff will be made redundant. I have been with the business for sixteen years, and although I know I won’t get a penny from the business, I will be able to claim in back through the government.

Sadly we don’t know when the stores are closing, so are finding it hard to plan ahead. Ideally I want to start looking for a job now, but I also really don’t want to loose sixteen years worth of redundancy and no lack of notice payment. We are also a really close nit team, so although I owe the business nothing, I really wouldn’t want to let my team down or leave them in the lurch.

I then had an idea... If I was to accept a new job, I know I could also continue to work for the original business part time until the store closes. My question is, if I did do this, could I still work for both jobs and still claim the redundancy? Or would the redundancy claim become void because I now have another job?

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you only worked part time you would only get redundancy pay based on those part time hours.

Personally i would stick it out
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • If its one of the two major stores closing it is unlikely to be more than 6 weeks before they shut the doors, so nothing to stop you looking for jobs and making it clear if you get offered a new position that you will be available in 3 or 4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure