Wedding with no evening function?

2»

Comments

• We had an afternoon tea for our reception and no evening party. Only 40 guests for the whole thing (including several friends babies), did it on a Sunday with the ceremony starting at 1pm. I think it worked really well as it meant no one had to organise accommodation over night, allowing babies meant that our friends could join in without forking out for babysitters (plus they were all very well behaved given their ages varied from 6 weeks through to 7 months!), and no one had to try and get Monday off work so they could stay a bit longer!

Like people have said above, you do need to let people know there's no evening party, we put "Followed by afternoon tea reception" on our invitations, and since we were talking to people face to face or over the phone we were able to check that they understood there was no later event.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Our daughter married last year. They married at 3pm and then had a vintage afternoon tea at 5pm and that was it. All done and dusted by 7.30pm. Everyone had a 6 hour journey each way to the wedding (apart from the bride and groom). People had the opportunity to drive how that evening if they noted. We were just clear in the invites that it would be an afternoon tea at 5pm and so folk knew they weren't going to be entertained all night !
  • katiepants
    katiepants Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As a guest, I'd be a bit disappointed with no evening do - I find the ceremonies a bit boring and look forward to the party afterwards!!

Having said that, I'd not judge a couple for doing things as they want it. Your wedding should be exactly what you want, and if that means no evening do then so be it.
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My sister had no evening do and, to be honest, it all fell a bit flat at the end of the afternoon. People wanted to party and there was nowhere to go.

I made a mental note to ensure that I had a evening do should I marry in the future.... and I did.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

seems a bit mean, I've been at funerals and not got home until the next day.

I like to enjoy it as the deceased would've enjoyed being at mine.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We did it but it was a small wedding - about 40

Sunday afternoon

Ceremony 12.30ish
    Canapes and Cocktails until 2pm
    Sit down long lunch - several courses/choices with speeches
    Private bar afterwards.
    Newlyweds left around 7.30
    We arranged for the private bar to stay open and a taxi account to get people home if they wanted to stay later.

For the time, it was a bit 'different' and the guests were relatively spoilt The timings suited the very elderly, the pregnant ladies, the ones catching a long distance flight on the same night and those who couldn't take Monday off work!

Not so sure it works easily with large numbers though - different kind of atmosphere
  • warby68 wrote: »
    Not so sure it works easily with large numbers though - different kind of atmosphere

I think this is the key thing to keep in mind, I've just noticed that a lot of us saying "I did it" on this thread are also including "we had around 40 guests".

If you've invited lots of people then I think turning it in to larger event is the better way to go. A friend of mine got married two years ago, had 50 people to the wedding itself and the dinner, but a further 60 or so people (mostly work colleagues and old friends from school) were invited to the evening bash. She and her partner are very social and enjoy big get-togethers. Me and my OH could only think of around 40 people we liked enough to spend an afternoon with :rotfl:
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi,

seems a bit mean, I've been at funerals and not got home until the next day.

I like to enjoy it as the deceased would've enjoyed being at mine.

I'm fortunate it's not a funeral then :D
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    warby68 wrote: »

For the actual ceremony we're thinking of we are limited to a maximum of 64 people - including the marrying couple. And of course if we didn't have an 'evening do' we wouldn't be inviting any other guests to join us later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure