In the nick of time

Comments

• jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    I loved long days when I worked in the hospital, always felt that I knew who I was looking after and what I was doing, plus loads of days off! Sometimes with nights I would end up with a week off just because of shift patterns!

Doing amazing as always with the OP's! Glad the Christening went well!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi money for dreams, you visiting my diary reminded me to come and catch up on reading yours :D

I am so glad the air Bnb is such a success and that you also have a lodger, that's a lot of extra income to put towards the op's :T

It sounds like you have you dh fully onboard with the mse stuff too which helps massively, all the best, I shall be a regular now :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Newgirly,

Yes OH is on board for the most part :D
    When I take his extra pocket money off him in a couple of months he might not be ;);)

He gets £200 pcm pensions, then I send him £200 pocket money from his salary. He has a bill to pay until august of £120... I embrace his buying of food and petrol ;) and usually question where the bl@@dy he!! it's gone if he asks for more... I tend to pay for most things, however I have taken a back seat and make him get his wallet out if we stop for a drink/meal anywhere

I keep his remaining approx £600 wage to pay household bills. He gets paid 4 weekly so the "leftovers" each time I skim off and put in our holiday or entertainment account.

That said I do think we spend too much and maybe this month we need to be more controlled.

This weeks spending
    Sainsburys £20... very cautious spending as don't usually go there :eek:
    HomeB@rg twice... £21 cups/hosepipe/fairylights for garden/ toothpaste
    Weekly bus pass £17
    B&m .98p diet pepsi on way to work (2x500ml bottles)

Food bill this week should be minimal as cupboards and freezer full. Making a fridge drawer veg thing in slow cooker... I've thrown in puy lentils, aubergine carrot celery red onion garlic cumin, turmeric and tikka. I've put on a couple of lb at SW so need to eat more veg. hope it will be ready before I go to work.. in last 2 hours it's not changed.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Failed on the cautious spending... although not bought any food yet... just a summer pool which will take up a 3rd of our garden £350:o . But it's a rectangular one so I can swim in it 4x2m... scheduled for tomorrow delivery. Expecting tension with me and OH when assembling tomorrow afternoon :D:D

I'm really looking forward to daily swimming as exercise. I'm thinking of it as a stay at home holiday as I'm reluctant to go anywhere as timing is difficult this year, what with weddings and Uni. We are not free until November !! Cue rain for next few months may have to get a wet suit :)

Thankfully friend gave me owed money this week. So that can go towards it.

I've been inspired to stooze a little bit. I telephoned my 0% cc and I still have £2100 balance transfer available. Therefore this week I have been taking money out of my NW cc I will transfer the balance Friday and pay the amount off my car loan plus pay bnb money. This will leave 6 normal payments or less :D and save a couple of hundred pounds of interest :D:D... cue free pool :j :j :j

OH been good and bad... he went out while I was doing OT the other day and got a bit sloshed... I was not best pleased as he sat on his phone and broke it... again. £80 repair bill only 2 months ago :( he has been doing 2nd job so could pay for it himself. He did say a few weeks ago I would get half for mortgage... well I've not had half yet but a 2nd amount of £40 meaning £100 extra to mortgage has been paid :D

I'm off for a couple of days now. Will wait in for delivery tomorrow. Want some cheap boards as will need to change garden around a bit. Expecting a coffee with a close friend at some point and that trip to SW will need to be completed.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    OMG MfD! You are certainly full of surprises :D :rotfl: a blooming pool....that's fab.

You do deserve it. Outside swimming sounds great, just check that your Air BnB peeps don't hog it in the evenings with a glass of champers!!!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 9 June 2016 at 8:07AM
    haha yes although I'm more worried about downstairs lodger .. he tries to be nice , but can try too hard if you get my drift...I don't mind putting him up or doing his washing (rarely) , however our area is quite insular were everyone knows everyone (not quite) so I don't need to encourage his chatterbox tendencies .. too late :D ..

mm airbnb... maybe I can put the price up :D

on that note I changed our settings to 2 nights or more ... we have a one night booking 6th Aug booked ages ago so its a little annoying to have someone take a Saturday night in hols season.. so if we get no -one after that we'll switch back to the single nights.

FD paid their switch fee this week and bnb paid our monthly payment.. we've invited Pauline (French intern bnb) to several sunday lunches and to GD christening. but she is on her own a lot. think I better cook something Friday for us all and invite her again
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Having had students and lodgers agree the balance between isolation and ' over proximity' is a tough one. We (in truth) asked the last one to go because she was so aloof it was getting under OH's skin..

Not that I wouldn't mind having another tho. Will have to review and see if we can go for 7 day a week one as seems nothing happening for M-F. Although if OH away a lot this year that could be good...or not...hmm. So hard to tell. Miss the money though :D

Enjoy the pool!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Moneyfordreams
    The young man wants to be helpful, but I am cautious and decline his offers. He, by friends accounts is capable of many tasks but whilst trying to be pleasant I'm loathe to give him ownership of anything in my home. I know he'll say to X<Y<Z "I've done this that and the other for them" anyhow, rent paid and another £80 OP....

OH had to pay for phone repair this week (GRRR £80) so only £40 to OP from his 2nd job :D

To date this year we have made £3760 OP to the mortgage. This has brought our interest to £349 from £362 in December which is a drop in daily interest from £11.67 to £11.25 :D

My goal for the next 6 months is to finish the car loan. I wasn't able to "stooze" to the total of my credit limit as only 95% allowed on balance transfer so the cash in my hand was paid straight back to NW card :D . Increasing my payment by £91 pcm will get this finished in 6 months, but I will probably try harder and double the payments to complete in 4 months. Once the car loan is gone the payments can move to the mortgage :D

I feel like I've lost control a little, the bank swap and different accounts have me puddled.. so after being frivolous again I've £105 to last me the month!! freezer is still full so we need to eat from freezer I'm working later and on nights next week so not much planned except catching up with a former work friends and colleagues on Monday.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just catching up - amazing work, lodger, bnb and a pool - fantastic.

Got to say I got a little lost after my bank switch, especially as my bank account closed. I still thought I would be able to see the last years statements :doh: , they all disappeared :mad: when my account was closed even though I still have my isa's with them. Now why didn't I think of that :doh:, cause I like to go over the last years statements to compare:(

Must get to grips with spreadsheets, sometime :)

I'm on a mission to empty freezer this month as well, as 5 week month :eek:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Moneyfordreams
    AFK I got sent closing statement through the post. But yes bit frustrating not being able to look online. I have a 2 currant accounts still and a couple of saving account a mortgage and a loan :) think I was quite dependent on the single institution ...

just been shopping to Mr M
    £22 on food
    £19 earlier in week
    £20 last week.. not doing too bad

Where does our money go to??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback