The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Comments

• I noticed a while back that Tescos chicken breast fillets (the ones that are pretty much always on offer for 3 for £10) went down to only 350g a pack, they were previously 450g and may have dropped to 400g at some point before dropping again to 350g (I can't recall for certain). So i've started shopping elsewhere and found that Sainsburys still sells packs of 460g for the 3 for £10 deal and Lidl sells 1kg packs for £6.89 (I think they actually dropped their prices from £6.99 a pack the other day too). So Tesco loses out on custom there.
  • M&S have dropped the alcohol content on their canned cocktails e.g. Pina Colada (my favourite!) from 12% to 8%, but STILL charge the same i.e. £1.99 per can. I'm gonna have to spend more to get tipsy, now! :beer:
  • The real problem with shrinking products is that they are effectively 'hidden inflation' and are not factored into the consumer/retail price indices where items are listed by unit rather than volume/weight!

I'd be interested to hear if any experts actually know if this is true. Cause I would imagine the 'typical basket' would include say '500g of cheese' not 'a block of cheese' - in which case it's not hidden inflation.
  • IanO
    IanO Posts: 18 Forumite
    A few years ago they weighed 1.5 k.g. or 1.4 k.g.
    Every Christmas, and now and again through the year, the supermarkets would sell them for £5.

But they've steadily shrunk over the years.

Tesco currently has them on sale and they still cost £5.
    But they only weigh 750g.

Effectively, the price has doubled.
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    Doritos went from 250g down to 200g and then had a minimum 10% price rise to boot. Not good.
  • Morrsons have shunk most of their cheeses, same price but thinner blocks.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    A lot of the big packets of sweets (minstrels, revels etc) are now half full of air!
  • jonsue
    jonsue Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep, not shrunken heads! SHRUNKEN tins. Went to Tescos this afternoon and they have started their Xmas display of tins of chocs (Quality St, Roses etc.)
    Not only have the gone up to £7-50 compared to £5-00 last yeay they have SHRUNK to half the size! I was so shocked that I omitted to look at the weight, perhaps someone else will post the difference! I'm having to sit and have a cup of shock relieving tea.
  • Cadburys Dairy Milk are currently advertising a new shape bar. New shape, smaller size though. Reduced from 49 grams to 45.
  • Hovis Best of Both has reduced from 800g to 750g - but the price stays the same!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback