REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Comments

• legalexec
    legalexec Posts: 15 Forumite
    Kimi

What Anxiousmum has advised is very helpful and I fully agree with what she has advised.

I know how trying this process can be but all I can say is good luck and hang in there as I believe the Florida Child Support Department will go all out to assist you to get the best possible outcome for you and your children. I also know that once you have spoken to them and fully know what is happening you will feel in a much stronger position.

I do not know why but I seem to have a problem with blogging on this site. I spent a considerable amount of time writing a reply just prior to starting this one and pressed the button to review it prior to posting and I was thrown out back to the login page whereas I had already logged in in order to post a reply. I lost everything so have had to start again but as I am posting this in the early hours of the morning I realise that this new post will not be as good as my last blog that I just lost.

I had written some observations regarding the CSA which I thought might be helpful for other readers of this post and I had also wanted you to see that, however as it is so late now I will have to save all that for another time.

Regarding my case, I have realised that I cannot claim Ancillary Relief here as my ex and I were never married. (I had written some observations about this also but again this will now have to wait for another time)

I have decided that there is no point in starting a new case here as if I am going to simply claim Private School Fees and After School Childcare Costs I may as well simply attach this claim to my REMO Child Support Claim in the US. I had previously attached childcare costs and the proposed judgment had awarded me half of those, however, as my costs are due to change it is simply a case of my submitting proof of my new costs and the US Court will recalculate the amount of Child Support due prior to implementing the final Order.

Being able to do all of this through REMO is great as if I had had to do this through the UK Courts it would have been an expensive and lengthy process.

I will of course let you know the outcome.
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Hi Ladies, not been on for a while due to another nasty virus on our computers (blummin kids and bookface). I'm still getting random payments but had a letter from the Texan AG's office granting me the right to a review of my child support order.

Theres a bit that says -

If the other party resides in anotehr state and/or the support order was entered by another state, the state with legal authority may review and adjust the order. however, we can still assist you with the initial part of the interstate review process.

I only have to reply if I want a review and I'm assuming he'll have had a copy but am I right to presume because the consent order was made here it still stands and he can't have it reviewed? There's still $5k+ owed in arrears.
  • nco41
    nco41 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Hi All,
    I am so gald I stumbled across this thread.
    Like some of you I am currently going through REMO to enforce my maintenence orders on my devine Ex-Husband who now lives in Connecticut.
    I am at the stage where my Ex has chosen to contest the registration of the maintenance order for our son.Citing fraud and claiming that he knew nothing about the order.
    Strangly he has not contested registration of the order in favour of me,but he still has not paid a penny since 2007. The hearing is listed for July 18th..sadly it can't be addressed sooner.
    Like the rest of you I have had major problems with REMO forwarding on paperwork.The last set of papers took five months to get there and I found them very unhelpful.
    My Ex has pulled every trick in the book to avoid paying child and spousal support,but I am now confident that the net is closing in on him and Connecticut will finally nail him.
    Thank you so much for this great informative thread.

Legalexec. I applied for and got my son School fee's included in my maintenance order. This was then transfered via REMO for enforcement .So it can be done if you decide to go down that avenue.
    I am not a mine of information like most of you on here but if I can help anybody please just let me know.
  • Tpee
    Tpee Posts: 2 Newbie
    I am looking into starting this process (ex-partner in Dublin, Ireland)and these threads have been an eye opener. One thing has been mentioned, that getting a court order first can help speed up the process in the other country. Prior to deciding on this process, I was going to try and do it myself through a solicitor but both the solicitors I contacted here said find an Irish Solicitor!! How do I go about getting a court order??? We have no maintenance order in place and I'm sent money sporadically to say the least. I take my son to Ireland 3/4 times a year and have just got sick of the empty promises made about money year in year out.

I have no idea as to my ex's financial status, he is a Walter Mitty character and is extremely private. He has no actual job that I know of (trying to establish himself as a photographer the last I heard) but has his name on at least two properties and inherited a third which I understand he is demolishing and rebuilding. If he has no income from employment at mo, is it worth going all through this for £5 a month - which is what he tells me I will get if I go down the legal route.
  • meae
    meae Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi,

Im new to this site and not sure this is the right place to post but thought Id give it ago!

My son will soon be 10 years old and his father who is American and lives in Los Angeles has never paid a penny! In 2008 I found up to date address's etc and so went to court and papers were sent via REMO!!

2 and a half years on Ive signed these same papers 3 times as they keep 'expiring'.

Like others I was told not to contact the LA CSA directly but I did and they have just said that the forms have expired again (this was yesterday) and that they would need to be resent!

I'm wondering whether its worth the effort any more as it just seems to be going round in circles.

Any advice on how to speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tpee wrote: »
    I am looking into starting this process (ex-partner in Dublin, Ireland)and these threads have been an eye opener. One thing has been mentioned, that getting a court order first can help speed up the process in the other country. Prior to deciding on this process, I was going to try and do it myself through a solicitor but both the solicitors I contacted here said find an Irish Solicitor!! How do I go about getting a court order??? We have no maintenance order in place and I'm sent money sporadically to say the least. I take my son to Ireland 3/4 times a year and have just got sick of the empty promises made about money year in year out.

I have no idea as to my ex's financial status, he is a Walter Mitty character and is extremely private. He has no actual job that I know of (trying to establish himself as a photographer the last I heard) but has his name on at least two properties and inherited a third which I understand he is demolishing and rebuilding. If he has no income from employment at mo, is it worth going all through this for £5 a month - which is what he tells me I will get if I go down the legal route.

IF you were in Ireland, then yes, it would've been beneficial to get an order there. To get an order in Ireland now, you'll have to apply through your local family division Magistrates court. You will then have a hearing here, and they will produce an order for you. To make this enforceable though, it then will need to go to your ex's local court in Ireland - where they will (ideally) accept the order, and register it there. Once it's registered there, then their enforcement procedures can step in to start collecting the child support, or, enforcing it with the various sanctions they may have in place there in order to get payments for you.
  • 4m1n4
    4m1n4 Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2011 at 9:37PM
    Legalexec - You don't need to have been married to apply for Ancilliary relief. With ancilliary relief they take into account all the child's costs - they use the CSA formula as a starting point but they don't have to stick to it and there are top ups for private schools amongst other things. Even if you have gone through the CSA you can ask for a top up for school fees via the ancilliary relief process. The only problem with the US system is that they also take your income into consideration whereas here it is all dependent on the Non-resident parent's income and the actual costs to the child. If you ask for a carer's allowance, then your income will be taken into consideration, but otherwise whilst you have to give a statement of your affairs, the judge is only concerned with the NRP.

Anyway my order is now in place and I have had one small payment...far from the full amount but at least something.
  • Kimi31
    Kimi31 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Finally managed to get round to phoning Florida Child Support customer services for an update.

Spoke to a lady who has put a request in to the intake team to give me a call and let me know what is going on now. Basically he hasnt been served yet but NRP has been very very quiet the last couple of days.
    So basically we are waiting for a court date that i may or not be dialled into. I have made my concerns known regarding the time it is taking London to pass stuff to Liverpool.

I dont know what else to do really.

Ive got so much else on at the moment i am losing the will...to do anything about anything
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Kimi I know how you feel, I've been notifying Liverpool in writing with a copy for them to forward to REMO everytime I get a payment and I got an acknowledgement this week saying my Feb & March letters have just been forwarded to REMO :mad:

I've tried phoning Houston but the phone no for the office that covers his area has been disconnected and there's only a 1-800 no. I tried phoning another office asking if they had a number and the woman kept asking what language I was speaking in so I gave up.
  • Kimi31
    Kimi31 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Micro did you try talking r e a l l y slowly and put on a bit of american twang?? lol I find that always works...

I looked at my paper work and REMO rec'd the last letter from FLorida on 18/1....Liverpool got site of it in MARCH! !!!!!! is that about?
    I made this concern known to Florida especially if they want me to dial into the hearing and they send written notice and London dont do anything....

Not had my callback yet. I am still hopeful
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure