PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time seller!

We're selling our house and today received the first of 3 valuations (2 more EA coming tomorrow). Was much more than we anticipated after we got a remortgage valuation of 75K last summer. They valued it today at 95K. Am not getting too excited yet though ;)

Our house has been a wee bit neglected by us, in that we had kids almost straight away after moving in and so we never managed to spruce it up as we first hoped. The valuer today said we shouldn't bother giving the place a lick of paint and we've been told this before about 15mths or so ago when we last thought of selling. This goes against all the House Doctor ;) has been telling me all these years and I thought I would put the question out and see what people would think.

So would you give stuff a lick of paint anyway or put it on the market and see what happens? I mean it's not in bad condition, just some bits of wallpaper ripped off by kids, general wear and tear etc.

We're actually going to be moving before it sells (I imagine) and so it will be empty anyway and although of course it will be best if it sells quickly we're ok financially to keep it going while we're in the new house. I just dunno what to do lol!

Redecorate or chill, redecorate or chill.... Ok replace that chill with packing!!!
Debts - [STRIKE]£9925.64[/STRIKE] £8841.88 :T Aiming to get below £9k by the end of Oct. :D:D:D November aim - sub £7.5k! :cool:
Just Say No November - Challenger 19 ~ Groceries £0/£160 ~ NSD's 1/25 ~ Money made £6/£80

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Remortgage valuation are generally low, so hopefully you'll get a better price ;)

You should really try to sell while you're living there. Houses sell far better (and quicker!) with furniture and the feel of home about them. People are very short sighted and can't imagine furniture in a room. Plus, if your wallpaper is tatty and the room is empty, that's going to be all there is to look at.

Of course, you will get best price if the house is immaculate and I personally would never let my buyers benefit from them adding the extra value to the property but if you haven't time and you're not overly fussy about your price, then leave it.

But cleanliness is incredibly important. Clean and tidy within an inch of your life!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Suzi.Q_3
    Suzi.Q_3 Posts: 89 Forumite
    We moved recently and painted 2 of the bedrooms before putting the house on the market. One room was just disgusting and the other had wallpaper missing where the previous owners kids had ripped it off the wall. We figured a couple of weekends work was worth it. The downstairs had all been re-decorated anyway, but we never got as far as the upstairs.
  • kbarty
    kbarty Posts: 634 Forumite
    thank you , you also reminded me of my other question. Is it better to have furniture in the house while trying to sell or have it empty? A lot of the furniture wouldn't be coming up with us so it wouldn't be too hard to "stage" the house I don't think. Although of course we'd need to get rid of it once sold. We're moving from yorkshire to Scotland (into a rented house as part of a new job package) so quite a distance although I still have family near my current home that could help me out I suppose.

I've been spending the week cleaning and decluttering like a madwoman!!

Personally I think, if we can, I'd like to give it as much of a helping hand as I can. I've already given the kitchen a lick of paint and want to tidy up the bathroom as much as I can.

Thanks for the opinions so far.
    Debts - [STRIKE]£9925.64[/STRIKE] £8841.88 :T Aiming to get below £9k by the end of Oct. :D:D:D November aim - sub £7.5k! :cool:
    Just Say No November - Challenger 19 ~ Groceries £0/£160 ~ NSD's 1/25 ~ Money made £6/£80
  • Suzi.Q_3
    Suzi.Q_3 Posts: 89 Forumite
    If you can I'd leave some furniture. We sold ours completely empty as we had to, but I think some nice furniture so it still looks spacious and uncluttered but more like a home than a shell. Then you have to clear it out afterwards of course, but somebody will need to go and do meter readings etc. on completion day so you'll have to go back anyway.
  • I'd leave the furniture, declutter and make the walls look good again. I know it is a pain, but it won't cost you much to do re-hang the wallpaper, but if you leave it Buyers will knock off hundreds of ££.
  • We put our house on the market on Monday, and re-decorated the second bedroom as my daughter had, very thoughtfully, picked all the wallpaper off beside her bed. If the wall paper had been intact, I wouldnt have bothered, but it looked terrible.

Someone told me that the price wouldnt be affected by decorating, but the speed of sale may be. (Had our first viewing tonight which looks incredible hopeful :cool: )
    Threadhead
  • Meeten
    Meeten Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post
    Redecorate - I am sure that a new lick of paint, some wallpaper and general tidying up will add value to the property.

Buyers will come in and think 'i need to do this ... and that ... and this' and they will mentally reduce the offer on teh bakc of the perceived cost of getting the work done.

If you can manage to tidy up the bits that look in disrepair, then the potential purchasers cannot ask for the reduction in price.

I am in the process of putting in a new bathroom, and replacing the cooker / tiles in the kitchen. The cost - approx £3,000. BUT, the EA reckoned that it will get me £8-10k more as the new buyer will discount the cost off the offer price.

Added a lick of paint throughout, and made sure that the ceilings were painted - makes such a difference now that they are pure white!

Def think it is worthwhile putting the effort in, or getting a handyman to do the work.

HTH,

M
    One day I want to be the pigeon...... and not the statue!
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering if the estate agent is saying that because they expect your house to be the kind of thing that goes to a developer - who won't be interested in paying more for a lick of paint. I would ask the estate agent why he said that - and who he thinks is the target market for your property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure