Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do?

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To answer one of your questions, KayleighB, no, turning the mains off will not help identify the problem as you would then cut off the supply to all appliances so would not be able to see if there is something using electricity you were not aware of.

Perhaps you could try turning off everything you can access as a fridge does not use that much juice in half an hour or so. If you find the meter is still whizzing along with only a fridge plugged in, there must be something else using a considerable amount of electricity. If you cannot then identify what that is, perhaps there is a fault with the meter but, as already advised, if EDF come out and fail to find any such fault, they will charge you for the visit.

Do you have a garage/outbuilding with a power supply to it? If so, could something have been left on in there? Sorry but I am stumped as you have eliminated most possibilities already. HTH.
  • i dont know how many times i have to say i haven't relied on the smart meter.

what i have done is relied on EDF telling me to read it when they needed a reading. lesson learned.

i do have a garage but only thing plugged in in there is an additional fridge.

I will turn everything off that i can access as suggested and see if the meter is still going up.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2018 at 12:33PM
    Kayleighb1 wrote: »
    I have found this interesting.

These are a record of my meter readings just emailed to me by EDF:

GAS

26.05.2016- 891.000
    20.02.2017- 1,646.000
    31.05.2017- 1,104.000
    13.02.2018- 2,483.000

The meter reading on the 31/05/17 does not make sense. If we talking cub metres here, then usage from Feb 17 to Feb 18 equals about 9400kWhs which is by no means high.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hengus wrote: »
    The meter reading on the 31/05/17 does not make sense. If we talking cub metres here, then usage from Feb 17 to Feb 18 equals about 9400kWhs which is by no means high.

This looks like a reading error - probably should have been 2104.000 which has given OP a false sense of her consumption. If it 2104 then it all drops into place, the consumption overall is typical.

In post #4 she says "May 17 was submitted by me and verified with similar readings from the provider. It is a smart meter but not an EDF one so readings aren't automatic." What does verified by provider mean - perhaps simply that the computer didn't reject it
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Robin9 wrote: »
    This looks like a reading error - probably should have been 2104.000 which has given OP a false sense of her consumption. If it 2104 then it all drops into place, the consumption overall is typical.

In post #4 she says "May 17 was submitted by me and verified with similar readings from the provider. It is a smart meter but not an EDF one so readings aren't automatic." What does verified by provider mean - perhaps simply that the computer didn't reject it

Up until the middle of last year, what is known as the Annual Quantity (AQ) for gas for every property was updated only once per year. In June 17, Project NEXUS was rolled out by Ofgem. Part of this upgrade is designed to allow suppliers to update the AQ with each actual or customer read via NEXUS. Before doing this, the meter readings have to be verified by the data collectors. Some suppliers are stating on this forum that the process takes 28 days others, such as Bulb, are saying that it is only 1 to 2 days. I assume that this problem will go away when smart meters are connected to The DCC which is independent of each supplier.
  • Smodlet
    Robin9 wrote: »

Or that it is now actually a dumb meter which would account for things getting so out of hand if it was installed by a supplier other than EDF.
  • It means they also took a reading, I took the electric. They took gas and electric.
  • Yes the meter is very dumb it is an eon meter not def.

This doesn!!!8217;t account for the electric readings I am waiting to receive those.
  • That was an interesting apostrophe
  • Smodlet
    Kayleighb1 wrote: »
    That was an interesting apostrophe

:rotfl: Apparently there is some issue with MSE and apple devices; is that you use, Kayleighb1?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure