Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• Hi guys,

I need a PC picked up and safely delivered? Not too much to ask is it :p

I would like it collected remotely with no printing required. Once packaged I can't imagine the item weighing more than 15kg. I'm not 100% on the packed dimensions but it'll be normal sized? - nothing abnormal.

Insurance? I'm thing something around the £100 mark?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • Does anyone one know of a regulator that monitors this type of business. I have a real concern they are using some hidden term to dishonestly generate extra income.

I won't turn this into a rant because I would go on forever and I don't think anyone would appreciate that. But... I've had a real issue with Interparcel.com, a parcel broker, and it's gone on for more than a year.

I booked a parcel via their online portal, it was collected and delivered to the final destination - great! Later I got a demand for £50+ as they said I had under-declared the sizes. I send the same parcels all the time so I was a little confused and asked for evidence. They sent me three numbers on an otherwise blank .pdf and called that a report. I asked for proper evidence and clarification, as it all seemed a little detached and they were being quite irrational and a little aggressive. Telling me to send them photos of my dispatched and delivered parcel next to a tape measure? Crazy! In the end i said, "do what you will". Despite threats of court and debt collectors, they sent 1 letter and then all went quiet. That is, until this month, 1 year later. A business that shares a post code with me suddenly had their access to Interparcel's services blocked. They had been using Interparcel for almost 11 years. When they phoned, the message to them was basically, "Tough, you have a debtor in the vacinity". Obviously, they were referring to me - I am not a debtor as they have never actually sent me a bill... just threats. It really is bazaar and quite frightening, to think someone in their office has been festering for more than a year, over my refusal to accept their dubious demands.

I tweeted them asking for an explanation, I was ignored. I have tried to communicate with Directors, I was ignored. Then I started to read reviews other customers had left. There were so many upset customers saying they had been charged a similar or in some cases a £125 admin fee. When they asked why, they got no reasonable explanation and again, no evidence. I will accept, I have been tweeting them quite a bit but all I wanted was an explanation. They have blocked me now.

There are hundreds of dissatisfied customers if twitter, facebook and trustpilot reviews are anything to go by. But there seems to be no way an individual can challenge this suspect practice. They need to answer questions and I can not see the problem with that, if there is nothing to hide.

Sorry, that nearly did turn into a rant.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sta4d63 wrote: »
    Does anyone one know of a regulator that monitors this type of business. I have a real concern they are using some hidden term to dishonestly generate extra income.

I won't turn this into a rant because I would go on forever and I don't think anyone would appreciate that. But... I've had a real issue with Interparcel.com, a parcel broker, and it's gone on for more than a year.

I booked a parcel via their online portal, it was collected and delivered to the final destination - great! Later I got a demand for £50+ as they said I had under-declared the sizes. I send the same parcels all the time so I was a little confused and asked for evidence. They sent me three numbers on an otherwise blank .pdf and called that a report. I asked for proper evidence and clarification, as it all seemed a little detached and they were being quite irrational and a little aggressive. Telling me to send them photos of my dispatched and delivered parcel next to a tape measure? Crazy! In the end i said, "do what you will". Despite threats of court and debt collectors, they sent 1 letter and then all went quiet. That is, until this month, 1 year later. A business that shares a post code with me suddenly had their access to Interparcel's services blocked. They had been using Interparcel for almost 11 years. When they phoned, the message to them was basically, "Tough, you have a debtor in the vacinity". Obviously, they were referring to me - I am not a debtor as they have never actually sent me a bill... just threats. It really is bazaar and quite frightening, to think someone in their office has been festering for more than a year, over my refusal to accept their dubious demands.

I tweeted them asking for an explanation, I was ignored. I have tried to communicate with Directors, I was ignored. Then I started to read reviews other customers had left. There were so many upset customers saying they had been charged a similar or in some cases a £125 admin fee. When they asked why, they got no reasonable explanation and again, no evidence. I will accept, I have been tweeting them quite a bit but all I wanted was an explanation. They have blocked me now.

There are hundreds of dissatisfied customers if twitter, facebook and trustpilot reviews are anything to go by. But there seems to be no way an individual can challenge this suspect practice. They need to answer questions and I can not see the problem with that, if there is nothing to hide.

It would probably be Trading Standards. The problem is that they don't explain that it not necessary actual weight and size but volume. It also is not normally the broker but the actual courier who carries the parcels that has charged the broker, who has passed the charge on to you with a little bit on top. You can underpay on loads of parcels before one is randomly checked and found to be underpaid.

As unfortunately you have found out, ignoring invoices, even if they don't take you to court can end badly. Pay what you owe or ignore it and endure the wrath of your neighbouring businesses. There is no regulator that is going to take your case on and fight for you.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    sta4d63 wrote: »
    Does anyone one know of a regulator that monitors this type of business. I have a real concern they are using some hidden term to dishonestly generate extra income.

You ignored them,now you feel they are in the wrong ignoring you?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    slipd wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I would like it collected remotely with no printing required. Once packaged I can't imagine the item weighing more than 15kg. I'm not 100% on the packed dimensions but it'll be normal sized? - nothing abnormal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It is probably too much too ask unless you know the exact weight and dimensions. You could try shiply or something like that which is basically a man with a van who isn't tied down to a system that expects exact figures. Insurance might also be a bit of an issue as many couriers exclude PCs .

However, couriers are not my field so I'll leave it to someone else to make other suggestions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    Hi guys,

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is this something you have purchased?
    You will be reliant on the senders packaging quality?
  • custardy wrote: »
    Is this something you have purchased?
    You will be reliant on the senders packaging quality?
    Yup, it certainly is. It's sound, the remote party sent it in the end using parcelforce24, booked via Interparcel, it was about £15 with £100 insurance ;)
  • custardy
    Yup, it certainly is. It's sound, the remote party sent it in the end using parcelforce24, booked via Interparcel, it was about £15 with £100 insurance ;)

You posted looking for courier recommendations at 10:40am and it was delivered by 6:53pm on the same day?
  • No, no - I wish that were the case though :cool:

I expect I'll be seeing it on Tuesday. It was a local, 'collection only' sale that the seller didn't really want to send because of the size/weight and nature of the item. I was just trying to sort everything from my end to reassure him.

Didn't need to in the end, as he did it all for me.

Thanks all.
  • custardy
    No, no - I wish that were the case though :cool:

I expect I'll be seeing it on Tuesday. It was a local, 'collection only' sale that the seller didn't really want to send because of the size/weight and nature of the item. I was just trying to sort everything from my end to reassure him.

Didn't need to in the end, as he did it all for me.

Thanks all.

So as I said,you are reliant on the senders packaging.
    We have seen many many cases where the recipient organises a courier and it gets damaged in transit.
    Then theres no claim as the packaging is insufficient (often the reason the item is collect only originally)
    something to be aware of in future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure