Hi there

Is there any way to find out who you Gift Aid to? :o

I know one, although I remember signing others I can't remember who

Many Thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :rotfl: You have my sympathy: especially when you get 'nobbled' to Gift Aid an entry fee.

Some of those I support write to me each year stating what I've given and how much Gift Aid they've been able to recover and what they've done with it. But those are the monthly donations, and if I am pressured on the door then I tend to tick the 'never get in touch' box.

So, can you reconstruct anything from your diary? eg if I look back and see I visited SS Great Britain, I know I'm likely to have Gift Aided the admission fee, so I can phone them to confirm this. Or Credit Card statements - I'd tend to pay admission fees by card. Or, obviously, bank statements for any regular gifts.

Also can I ask what purpose you're wanting to do this reconstruction for?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hi Sue
    Thank you for your reply
    What your not told when you tick the box is that if you don't pay enough tax, you end up paying it anyway
    The reason I'd like to find out where I have allowed Gift Aid is I've had 2 tax bills and only through a conversation with someone realised that it's to do with Gift Aid :(
    Many Thanks
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cobfused wrote: »
    Hi Sue
    Thank you for your reply
    What your not told when you tick the box is that if you don't pay enough tax, you end up paying it anyway
    The reason I'd like to find out where I have allowed Gift Aid is I've had 2 tax bills and only through a conversation with someone realised that it's to do with Gift Aid :(
    Many Thanks
    so you are a non taxpayer and are afraid that since the last tax year you may have made donations under gift aid and therefore will end up with a bill for tax claimed that you never paid?

if you kept no records of who you donated to then there is no centralised record system other than HMRC itself. Presumably you have not donated again to the charities for which the tax bills came in for last time round. Therefore that is now history and won't repeat (unless you are on a regular direct debit are you?) so all you can do is write to HMRC and hope they reply or, more likely, wait for the tax bill for the next tax year and then make sure you never donate under gift aid again whilst you remain a non taxpayer.
  • Thank you for your reply
    Yes, I'm a part timer :T:rotfl::j
    I'll have to contact HMRC, it wasn't anything regular, other than one is regular donations to a shop
    Not sure what else there is other than random ticks on things when I make a donation :o
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cobfused wrote: »
    Not sure what else there is other than random ticks on things when I make a donation :o
    there is the fact you had to give the charity your name and address and a declaration which you signed against to state your had paid enough tax to cover the donation
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-gift-aid/gift-aid-declarations

the only exception is for cash donations of £20 or less as explained in above link
  • Thank you for your reply
    Yes, that link shows the new rules, when you just tick the box when they tell you they can get more for your donation if you work, not pay tax, you tend to think it's a good idea.
    I know now what it entails, but didn't have it explained properly at the time, I was just asked if I wanted to tick the box after I signed:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure