Buchanan clark & wells??

Comments

• Slc2011 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is a long shot as it's an old thread but I have received 2 separate answerphone messages from Buchanan Clark & wells. They quote a reference number but it's still a recorded message. We have no outstanding payments anything we owe so I am a bit concerned.

Any ideas if this is a scam? Or should we risk contacting them?

Cheers

SLC. X

Hi,

I used to work for BCW and can confirm that they aren't a scam but as everyone has worked out they are a nasty and greedy bunch (didn't enjoy my time there).

The reference number they give you is related to their internal systems and is the easiest method of recalling your details if you call or write to them. You can ignore their calls and their letters. You are under no obligation to respond.

If they ever send someone to your door (very rare) then you have no obligation to talk to them. They will use every method possible to try to bully you into paying for the debt.

Follow the advice given by people here in this thread with regards to responding in letters etc. They're very helpful.

Above all. Don't worry about it. You are very well protected by the law.
  • I have a south west water amount out standing which is now with bcw they are so nasty & just wondered if i could start paying sww direct instead of these bullies please help they are making me ill
  • ALLYBOBS
    ALLYBOBS Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2012 at 6:05PM
    I received more letters from this company saying they are taking my partner to court. I emailed them to say good luck with that and I would be suing them for harassment to myself (I was replying on behalf of my partner) due to their inefficiently. I received an email back last week to say they are looking into my complaint and I will have a final response in 4 weeks. DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE PUT YOU UNDER PRESSURE, BE TOUGH WITH THEM MORE SO THAN THEY ARE WITH YOU.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I have a south west water amount out standing which is now with bcw they are so nasty & just wondered if i could start paying sww direct instead of these bullies please help they are making me ill

Yes, of course you can, and should.

And if you are more than a year in arrears and in rented accommodation they may even pay this off themselves under their RESTART scheme.

You may be best contacting the CAB - they can go through the Water Debt Gateway
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    I have a south west water amount out standing which is now with bcw they are so nasty & just wondered if i could start paying sww direct instead of these bullies please help they are making me ill

If BCW are phoning you, keep repeating 'only in writing' over and over.

You're under absolutely no obligation to speak to them on the phone, and as fatbelly has suggested, try paying the client direct, thus cutting BCW out of the equation.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Ayeyermaw wrote: »
    Hi,

I used to work for BCW and can confirm that they aren't a scam but as everyone has worked out they are a nasty and greedy bunch (didn't enjoy my time there).

The reference number they give you is related to their internal systems and is the easiest method of recalling your details if you call or write to them. You can ignore their calls and their letters. You are under no obligation to respond.

If they ever send someone to your door (very rare) then you have no obligation to talk to them. They will use every method possible to try to bully you into paying for the debt.

Follow the advice given by people here in this thread with regards to responding in letters etc. They're very helpful.

Above all. Don't worry about it. You are very well protected by the law.

We used to use them as a company, they got results though but geraldine one of the managers didnt think the client was important.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • i have been contacted by buchanan clark & wells for a debt that they are chasing on behalf of Aktiv Kapital for a debt they say i owe, which i have disputed.

I was however contacted 2 years ago by mackenzie hall on behalf of Aktiv Kapital for the same debt, of which at the time i wrote to saying that i disputed the amount owed to them. Giving them a time limit to respond stating why i owed them the monies. i sent them a £1.00 postal order stating that they had to provide me a statement of account as they were obiliged to do under the consumer credit act 1974. they then sent me a letter back saying that they have contacted their client for the details and that if they dont respond within 40 days they will close off their file, that was the last i ever heard from mackenzie hall.

Obviously they have now sold the debt onto another debt company, can the same company aktiv kapital pursue me through another debt company or are they breaking the law by not supplying with the evidence that i have requested.
  • Beetlemama
    Beetlemama Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I keep getting calls from these guys at work, they say I owe Nationwide - I'm still with Nationwide, I use my account every week, there's no debt on it.

They gave me a number to call but I'm not phoning them back.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • KEV12345
    KEV12345 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 June 2012 at 12:10PM
    i got a letter today from buchanan clark & wells saying,

Dear Sir/Madam

We are trying to contact **my name** with regards to a private matter. we have confirmed your address through credi link obtained via a credit reference agency as being the same person who previously lived at the original address above.

Please contact us on 0844 571 4038 quoting the above reference number and one of our operators will be available to take any relevant details to resolve the matter.

if you believe that you are not our customer, please contact us as soon as possible on 0844 571 4038to enable us to amend our records and remove your address from our system file.

now i did live at this address about 6 year ago and i had some debt but all payed off as fare as i know?? please help as i know not to call them but im just thinking that they are just fishing for something and i think i should just ignore them....
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 30 June 2012 at 12:14PM
    KEV12345 wrote: »

now i did live at this address and i had some debt but all payed off as fare as i know?? please help as i know not to call them but im just thinking that they are just fishing for something and i think i should just ignore them....

I think you're right. If they think you owe them something they'll write with details of what that is.

At that point you can choose what to do, which might be a prove-it letter. Or a statute barred letter. Or a hybrid letter combining both!

As things stand, just ignore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport