Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Comments

• Maybe this latest communication that has been sent to each branch on how to deal with a Service Card request might come in as some use soon (I hope).

I remember when I tried to get one during the middle half of last year, went to my local branch and said 'Could you check to see if you could upgrade my Blue Visa Debit Card to the Purple Offline Visa Debit Card?' and I just got a very confused blank look. The lady quite confidently said "We only issue one type of card now, the Visa Debit card as before it was Maestro / Solo."

She took me to a room and I explained to her what the difference was and she said she had never heard of anything like this before, and all we have been told is the Visa Debit cards work everywhere - But as we all know ourselves, it wont work anywhere that does not have a connection to obtain an authorisation.

The next day I took in the leaflet that came with the debit card and spoke with the same lady and showed her and she said 'Oh yes, thats a Purple Visa Debit Card' I don't know how on earth they claimed they have never seen it before because at the time in branch was a massive poster on the wall getting people to switch, with a picture of the Purple Visa Debit Card in a wallet!

She had a play with the computer and it just said a Visa Debit Card and was giving her no other options. I said could you check with any other people to see if you could get this card ordered, and they just came back with the conclusion it was just not possible.

To be fair, the only bank that i've seen so far that has had some kind of knowhow of the difference between an Offline / Online Debit Card was HSBC but this was when they also had Solo / Maestro Cards. Since they no longer have the Cheque Guarantee Cheque Cards I don't know if that has changed.

When I asked Lloyds TSB if my card was offline they could not tell me either, even via the complaints department - They just said the same as NatWest that it can be used anywhere just as a sweeping statement to get me off the phone I think.

You would think it's quite an easy and simple question - to make sure people do know where and when the card works and if credit scoring is high enough to get the Offline card ordered.
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • stclair wrote: »
    My understanding is accounts upgraded from a step/ basic or select silver restricted accounts will not get a purple debit to start with they need to run the upgraded account for 6 months..

I don't understand this. Doesn't Natwest say it is not possible to upgrade a step/basic account to a full unrestricted (Select) current a/c ? To have the select a/c one needs to put in a new application and undergo a full credit check ?

If this holds true then how it be considered an upgrade ?

For instance I have a select silver which I upgraded from my step/basic account thinking I would be allowed to order chequebooks, service card etc if the upgrade goes through. However even when the account was changed to select silver I was told I could not apply this as the account is credit restricted ?? and I have to apply for a normal select account and go through a FULL CREDIT CHECK if I wanted chequebook, overdraft etc and will be given a new a/c number ?

So how can it be considered a upgrade ?? Or am I MISSING SOMETHING here ?? Is it then if I run my accounts well for 6 months, I will be able to order chequebooks service card etc on the Select silver as well which was upgraded from the basic account. The online banking still gives me the option to order chequebooks etc just on my select a/c !!
  • just_about wrote: »
    I don't understand this. Doesn't Natwest say it is not possible to upgrade a step/basic account to a full unrestricted (Select) current a/c ? To have the select a/c one needs to put in a new application and undergo a full credit check ?

For instance I have a select silver which I upgraded from my step/basic account thinking I would be allowed to order chequebooks, service card etc if the upgrade goes through. However even when the account was changed to select silver I was told I could not apply this as the account is credit restricted ?? and I have to apply for a normal select account and go through a FULL CREDIT CHECK if I wanted chequebook, overdraft etc and will be given a new a/c number ?

So how can it be considered a upgrade ?? Or am I MISSING SOMETHING here ?? Is it then if I run my accounts well for 6 months, I will be able to order chequebooks service card etc on the Select silver as well which was upgraded from the basic account. The online banking still gives me the option to order chequebooks etc just on my select a/c !!

They decided when they changed the Step account to Basic they was going to offer two versions of the Select Silver A) Credit Scored Version B) Non-Credit Scored Version.

Basicly, I think it was just more because of the restrictions of the Debit Card on the Basic Account so either 1) People could take advantage of the benefits of the Select Silver account or 2) Able to use the Debit Card at any ATM meaning the RBS Group would at least be making some profit.

Because you have the Non-Credit Scored version of the Select Silver it will mean no matter how well you run the account, and how much you run through it that account itself will never offer you any credit such as a Cheque Book, Overdraft etc.

The staff are right in saying you would have to open another account and be credit scored to see if you was eligible for the Credit Scored version instead.

When you apply online for an account, if you score high enough for the Credit Scored version it gives you two options one being that and the non-credit scored version.

They should really be telling people before they apply about this, because to people who don't know - they think they have a full standard current account when really it's just another Step account with ATM Access and a few benefits which you have to pay for in the long run.
  • Midzone
    Midzone Posts: 94 Forumite
    They decided when they changed the Step account to Basic they was going to offer two versions of the Select Silver A) Credit Scored Version B) Non-Credit Scored Version.

Basicly, I think it was just more because of the restrictions of the Debit Card on the Basic Account so either 1) People could take advantage of the benefits of the Select Silver account or 2) Able to use the Debit Card at any ATM meaning the RBS Group would at least be making some profit.

Because you have the Non-Credit Scored version of the Select Silver it will mean no matter how well you run the account, and how much you run through it that account itself will never offer you any credit such as a Cheque Book, Overdraft etc.

The staff are right in saying you would have to open another account and be credit scored to see if you was eligible for the Credit Scored version instead.

When you apply online for an account, if you score high enough for the Credit Scored version it gives you two options one being that and the non-credit scored version.

They should really be telling people before they apply about this, because to people who don't know - they think they have a full standard current account when really it's just another Step account with ATM Access and a few benefits which you have to pay for in the long run.

This is correct.

My scenario with NatWest is as follows ..... I had Step Account as due to just completing an IVA wasn't allowed a full fat current account. When the Step changed to Basic I applied for a new Select Account but was declined - I then upgraded the Basic to Select Silver as I needed access to all ATM's. I received a new Blue debit card which allowed this but wasn't allowed an overdraft or cheque book.

Yesterday on a whim I applied on line once more for a Select Account and was successful, not only that I was allowed to request a cheque book and also was offered an £800 overdraft. I was issued with new account number etc there and then.

This morning the new account and overdraft appeared in my online banking and I have transferred funds to this new account.

I'll wait to see what colour debit card I receive!

I am also aware that some people have reached this stage before and then had the account closed - so will hold fire with any other transfers (direct debits etc) until I get the card in my hand :)
  • Midzone wrote: »
    This is correct.

My scenario with NatWest is as follows ..... I had Step Account as due to just completing an IVA wasn't allowed a full fat current account. When the Step changed to Basic I applied for a new Select Account but was declined - I then upgraded the Basic to Select Silver as I needed access to all ATM's. I received a new Blue debit card which allowed this but wasn't allowed an overdraft or cheque book.

Yesterday on a whim I applied on line once more for a Select Account and was successful, not only that I was allowed to request a cheque book and also was offered an £800 overdraft. I was issued with new account number etc there and then.

This morning the new account and overdraft appeared in my online banking and I have transferred funds to this new account.

I'll wait to see what colour debit card I receive!

I am also aware that some people have reached this stage before and then had the account closed - so will hold fire with any other transfers (direct debits etc) until I get the card in my hand :)

Congrats! :T Must be a great feeling... You never know you might get the Purple Debit Card but people with Overdrafts over £500+ have still got the Blue Debit Card - Be good to know which one you get.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    just_about wrote: »

Please accept my apologies select silver restricted accounts wont get a purple visa debit card.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Midzone
    Midzone Posts: 94 Forumite
    Congrats! :T Must be a great feeling... You never know you might get the Purple Debit Card but people with Overdrafts over £500+ have still got the Blue Debit Card - Be good to know which one you get.

I'll let you know!
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I never new a debit could cause so much trouble :-)
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • If it helps anyone i've got 4 natwest accounts....

Advantage Gold - Purple ServiceCard 250 with £250 CG facility.
    Current Plus - Purple Debit card with £100CG facility (Had a new one through last week, still purple just without the cheque guarantee mark.
    First reserve - Blue Visa Debit.
    Basic account - Black Visa Debit.

More than happy to post a picture.

I Think its all about their internal scoring mechanisms.

Can anyone advise me what 'ServiceCard 250' is ?
  • limitation wrote: »
    If it helps anyone i've got 4 natwest accounts....

Advantage Gold - Purple ServiceCard 250 with £250 CG facility.
    Current Plus - Purple Debit card with £100CG facility (Had a new one through last week, still purple just without the cheque guarantee mark.
    First reserve - Blue Visa Debit.
    Basic account - Black Visa Debit.

More than happy to post a picture.

I Think its all about their internal scoring mechanisms.

Can anyone advise me what 'ServiceCard 250' is ?

ServiceCard 250 was simply put the Offline Debit Card with the £250 Cheque Guarantee Scheme acceptance mark meaning you could issue a cheque up to £250 and the bank would still honour it.

One of the highest around for when the scheme existed.

NatWest must value you highly in relation to internal scoring then...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family