Farepak in administration: What to do? (Merged Thread)

Comments

• michjoe wrote:
    Just been on ebay and seen Father Christmas letters costing £1.75 (buy it now) all money being donated to Farepak hamper customers.

How will they be able to donate this money?
  • michjoe
    michjoe Posts: 227 Forumite
    It does explain it all on the listing on ebay, I just saw it and thought it was worth mentioning on here.
  • trisontana wrote:
    I have never understood the attraction of these hamper companies. Wouldn't it be better to pay some money every week or month into a savings account and then use the money to buy your Christmas stuff. It must work out better value because some of your money in the hamper schemes has to pay for such things as agent's commission. Also I have found that the hamper invariably contains a few items which you don't want and so that's another waste of money.

:mad:In theory, and hindsight, yes it would be better to pay into an account and then use that money. However that is not as easy as it sounds. Im married with two children, age 5 and 2. Both my husband and i work full time, so you prob think that saving that bit extra each month/week should be a doddle. Alas no, there is always some emergency that needs paying, be it a new pair of school shoes or a broken washing machine.So of course rather than stick it on a credit card, which may i say i have none of! it comes out of the savings put away for xmas. so by the end of the year instead of maybe £300/400 theres maybe only £150/200. In short ive lost £350 and it has basically ruined my xmas as there is no spare cash in the house. All mine were vouchers. Best of luck to all
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    firespire wrote:

You want them all to go bust and loose everyone's money whether with Park, Home Farm etc.?
    If the other hamper companies are run properly and where the same company runs other companies, if they can show that the money with the hamper saving scheme is secured away from any of their other companies (or independently insured like the Travel companies ABTA Financial Protection Scheme) then I can't see why you would want them to close down too.

No sorry that is not what I want or meant, I just wanted to say as a past hamper customer how angry and upset I was for you all. I am sorry if I came across otherwise, the last thing I wanted was to upset anyone. I truly hope that this is sorted out satisfactorily for you all asap. I have friends affected by this and feel for them too.

(((hugs)))

Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • What's the difference between using a voucher scheme (regular payments and no access) and a regular savings account (regular payments and no access), apart from the interest and security of the savings account?
    The cow is of the bovine ilk,
    One end is moo, the other milk.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I know I will be criticised for this statement be here goes :-

Another reason these schemes were well used was because of the agent setup. These agents usually recruit friends and family who feel almost obliged to sign up to them so as not to give offence. It's almost a form of moral blackmail. I imagine this is why the hamper companies are run this way.

It's the same as those Tupperware type parties. When you go to one you feel you have to buy something , even though you don't want it just to help the person out who's running it , and because you don't want to appear to be a skinflint in front of everyone else.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • I dont agree that it is a moral blackmail thing.

I think that quite simply that it is easy to save £5.00 per week with a friend towards Christmas and to get £200.00 worth of Vouchers at the end

I do not use them, but I do know people that do. I think that it is a tragedy and my heart does go out to the people that have lost money
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • my son made his claim today and when he asked they said its going to take approx 8 months befor he sees anything as they are being investigated
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    trisontana wrote:
    I know I will be criticised for this statement be here goes :-

Another reason these schemes were well used was because of the agent setup. These agents usually recruit friends and family who feel almost obliged to sign up to them so as not to give offence. It's almost a form of moral blackmail. I imagine this is why the hamper companies are run this way.

It's the same as those Tupperware type parties. When you go to one you feel you have to buy something , even though you don't want it just to help the person out who's running it , and because you don't want to appear to be a skinflint in front of everyone else.

Excuse me!!!
    I never twisted anyones arm! they knew what it entilted they made cheques out for the monthly amount and i put them into the post office for them, yes i made commison, but it did them a service too, so please stand down from your soap box up there and think your statement through. Its easy to judge others when you are not involved, and no I'm not a tupperware forcing type!!!! And there was certainly never any moral issues involved,
    :A :j
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    karren wrote:
    Excuse me!!! I never twisted anyones arm! they knew what it entilted they made cheques out for the monthly amount and i put them into the post office for them, yes i made commison, but it did them a service too, so please stand down from your soap box up there and think your statement through. Its easy to judge others when you are not involved, and no I'm not a tupperware forcing type!!!!
    I DID not say that the agents twisted anybody's arm. All I said that when a neighbour or relation comes knocking on your door asking if you want to join the scheme, many people will find it very hard to say no. Perhaps it's because we are too polite, and don't want to let down our friends. That's why I said it's a form of moral blackmail.

This why these schemes are probably set up in this form. The hamper companies know that if they just dealt directly with customers they wouldn't get as much business. So they recruit this army of agents to put this sort of "pressure" on people to sign up.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure