Self Assessment when to fill in

Options
I have received my Unique Tax Reference in the post and I'm ready to fill in my self assessment. My understanding was that I would do this straight away as soon as I had received the UTR. However, the letter says that they will write to me after 5 April when they need me to fill in my self-assessment. I wanted to fill in my SA for the year 2013/2014 now, I thought I needed to do this before 31 January. The letter does say that if they need me to fill in a tax return before this they will let me know. Does anyone know more about this?

Comments

• Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you also registered for on-line filing? If so, you should log into the HMRC Portal to see if that shows you needing to complete a 13/14 tax return. If not, and you feel that you do need to file, then there's no harm in calling them to clarify the position.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have not registered or logged into the portal yet. I had no idea that there might be information there, I'll have a look there.
  • adimond
    Options
    April/May will be for the current year, I am unsure how to backdate. Have you tried calling them? Now you have a UTR they are pretty helpful (if you can find the correct department!)
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    not knowing why you have registered for SA means the answer to your question depends:

- if you have untaxed income in 13/14 and choose to declare this via SA then the onus remains on you to submit the SA return by 31 Jan 2015

- if your untaxed income/ reason for registering is not relevant until 14/15 then HMRC's standard process is indeed to write to all registered SA people around April - May each year to remind them to submit their return for the respective tax year. There would then be no point in submitting a 13/14 return
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure