Transax debt - do they bounce cheques I'm paying in?

Hi,

2 or 3 months ago I had 4 cheques for £100 bounce. I was charged £114 in bank charges. The company then tried 3 days later to cash them again, and I was charged £114 in charges again. When I noticed I phoned the company to pay by card, but it was too late though as they had forwarded the cheques to transax.

So I started phoning Transax everyday to pay by card, but they hadn't received the cheques yet so I couldn't pay. At this point I was in a good financial situation and wanted to get it sorted ASAP. After about two weeks I noticed on internet banking that the cheques were due to be cashed on Monday (this was a Sunday), so I phoned the bank (RBS) and asked what I could do to get the money in on time. They told me that as long as I brought the cash into the branch by 2pm on Monday I could get them to clear the cheques. So the next day I went in at about 11am and put in more than the amount of the cheques and explained what it was for. The next day I find that the cheques have bounced and I've been charged another £114. So I phone the bank and they apologise and say the charges will be refunded. Great. I phone Transax and explain what happened and they tell me I'll be charged £40 per cheque. No good!

So anyway, Transax try again to take the money out and I don't have it in the account. Another £114 charge. This is causing me some distress as I wish it could just have been sorted the first time. The bank has now charged me over £450 in charges for £400 worth of cheques which still haven't been resolved. After this (I'm a student) I had to pay my rent, and didn't have enough money in the account to pay off the cheques. I've then had Transax on the phone for about 3 weeks now everyday. I've spoken to the representative a couple of times and he says the charges have been waived, but I still don't have the money to pay it off. What am I best to do here? My rent is due again in a few days and I just have enough to cover it. I am now way over my overdraft with my bank, and still have this to pay. I questioned the bank about a loan but it was a no go due to my credit rating. (Being a student and with all of this it's not surprising).

Also, I tried to claim more than the one lot of £114 bank charges back, but to no success? I find it ridiculous the bank has scammed me for this much and still not cashed the cheques (all of the cheques were on a £100 guarantee card).

My other question is, last Monday I went to cash a premium bond cheque to another bank. Today I noticed it hadn't shown up in my bank after being due to clear on Friday. I phoned the telephone banking and the representative said there was no record of it. I paid it in at the same time I paid cash in. Is this Transax blocking the cheque?

What's my best line here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills