Reliable phone insurance??

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me pick a reliable, trustworthy and easy to deal with mobile phone insurance firm?

I'm with o2 but bought the handset directly from Motorola outright.

Do you think o2 will be willing to insure it?

If, not, any experience-based recommendations?

Thanks!

Z

Comments

• O2 will just be selling someone else's insurance product and as long as the phone meets the age criteria I doubt they would have any issues insuring the phone.
  • zudecke
    zudecke Posts: 582 Forumite
    O2 will just be selling someone else's insurance product and as long as the phone meets the age criteria I doubt they would have any issues insuring the phone.
    Thanks for the response.

As far as I can tell, Telefonica underwrite their policies, so o2 essentially.

Will give them a call.

What about third party type insurance like insurance 2 go etc?
  • zudecke wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, Telefonica underwrite their policies, so o2 essentially.

It used to be Ace that underwrote them but you are correct, they've created an insurance company to underwrite them recently.
  • Try insuremyhandbag.com, I used them to insure my iPhone 5s and iPad, plus they cover everything else in my bag for £9.99 but I think you can get just mobile insurance from them for a lot less. Hope that helps!
  • zudecke
    Still looking guys.

O2 will only insure phones bought directly from them.

Will give that insure my handbag one a shout.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zudecke wrote: »

Will give that insure my handbag one a shout.

Make sure you read the exclusions carefully.
  • zudecke
    God they're all crap!
  • zudecke
    Anyone have experience with the phone insurance packaged with the Halifax Premium Reward Account?
  • zudecke wrote: »
    God they're all crap!

Yes, they all are bottom end products. They have a massive issue that each time a new model of phone is released there are a spate of stolen and dropped phones of the older model. To deal with this they have restrictive clauses but they also hit genuine claims.

Personally, put money in the bank to deal with repairs and have Home insurance with Personal Possessions cover to deal with the Mrs' handbag being stolen as the mobile would be only one of the things that need to be claimed in that scenario
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I recently made a claim on the mobile phone insurance provided with the Co-op's privilege premier account (from Lifestyle Services Group). The claim was for accidental damage. I filled in a couple of forms, paid the £25 excess, sent my phone off and it came back good as new a few days later. It took about 2 weeks from starting the claim to getting the repaired phone back.

However, this account is no longer available to new customers, and they are going to increase the excess in a couple of months.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills