Jobseekers Allowance - telephone number?

Options
I signed up for JSA but for some reason - that my local Job Centre had no note for on their system - the first week of it was suspended. There is no reason for me not to be entitled to it as I was seeking work and was going through the process of getting my JSA claim in.

One person at my local centre told me I don't need to fill in a form to get backdated payment, but another person said I do... so I'm trying to contact whoever deals with such matters (the letter I got said I could contact them to question how they worked out my entitlement, but the number given is for my local centre, who said they would arrange for the relevant head office type person to phone me, which they haven't).

I tried e-mailing the Jobcentre Plus website but haven't heard back.

If anyone has any contact details they could pass on so I don't have to try dealing with my useless local centre again it would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Joaquina
    Joaquina Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Just being unemployed may not entitle you to JSA. What type have you applied for JSA (Conts based) or JSA (Income based)?
    It may be that your claim is suspended for a legitimate reason. Have you savings/capital? Those things don't affect Conts type JSA but do affect Income based JSA. Have you signed a JSAG (Jobseekers agreement)? Have you seen a financial assesor who has gone through your application at the Jobcentre?
    Wherever you made your claim and had your JSAG discussed and agreed is where you need to ask. If they say your claim is suspended, then use one of their phones to get to the Processing Centre that deals with that office.
    The processing centre could be one of many but the Jobcentre WILL know who processes their JSA claims.
  • libertino
    libertino Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't make it clear - the letter said that the claim was suspended from 14th June (which is when we initiated the claim process, I think) and was paid from 23rd June. Neither of us (in this joint claim) have been working, until now, which makes it difficult to go to the Job Centre.

I will try phoning my local centre again.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This place answers general enquiries and questions:

Benefit Enquiry Line
    Victoria House
    9th Floor
    Ormskirk Road
    Preston
    Lancashire
    PR1 2QP

Tel: 0800 88 22 00
    Fax: 01772 23 89 53
    Email: [EMAIL="Bel-Customer-Services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk"]Bel-Customer-Services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure