HSBC - PPI Redress suddenly appeared

Hi,

I used the online PPI reclaim service on MSE THANK YOU! I fired of the form and a couple of weeks later a very friendly lady called me to fact check what I'd written.

She told me that she would go away and investigate my claim and once her enquiries were complete I would receive an adjudication letter and if applicable an offer of compensation to settle my claim.

Everything I would have expected.

However, I have received no further correspondence and yesterday when I checked my balance I was pleasantly surprised to see I had more than I'd expected, due to an amount labeled "PPI redress" I've scoured the HSBC website looking for a number for the PPI claim team to verify that there hasn't been an error, as I have not received any adjudication letter or settlement offer. I did try calling HSBC but the lady I spoke to had no further info and could not offer me any guidance.

I'm obviously nervous to spend this money (tempting as it is) just in case there has indeed been a bank error.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Most people who still bank with who they complain to do yes.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    I'm obviously nervous to spend this money (tempting as it is) just in case there has indeed been a bank error.
    You won't be waiting very long for a letter confirming that this is not a "bank error".
    Enjoy your redress.
    -taff wrote: »
    Most people who still bank with who they complain to do yes.
    ???
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    e.g I bank with HSBC
    I complain to HSBC
    Money goes into my HSBC account

I bank with Lloyds
    I complain to HSBC
    A cheque arrives in the post.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Many thanks for the replies. I have now made contact with the bank and indeed there was no error. I have not yet received the official letter offering redress. The difference now seems to be they just pay out to you an amount in full and final settlement. Not sure why, as this is a change to their stated process, perhaps they feel they will get fewer appeals if they pay out straight away.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for the replies. I have now made contact with the bank and indeed there was no error. I have not yet received the official letter offering redress. The difference now seems to be they just pay out to you an amount in full and final settlement. Not sure why, as this is a change to their stated process, perhaps they feel they will get fewer appeals if they pay out straight away.

Depending on the amount received it could well be under their limit for an auto-pay without investigation.

I am not sure what you think there is to appeal over, PPI redress is set in stone by the FOS, you can't haggle for it, the only time you get more is if they don't have any records so guess and you can prove it was more through your own records
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure