We're buying flat but occupier cannot get a rental due to CCJ

Hi all
We're in the process of downsizing and buying a flat.
Found the ideal place, made an offer which was accepted but then the seller found there was a CCJ against them.
This has now been paid and they have paperwork to show this but they are unable to rent any property.
They've offered to pay 18 months advance but still no luck.
It now looks like we'll lose the purchase and the money we've paid for searches, survey and legal costs.
This is the 3rd property we've had fallen through in a row and we really cannot afford to do this all over again.
Can anyone suggest any action we could possibly take to sort this out?
Fingers crossed.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They can stay with friends or family. Or hotel. Or B&B.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi FilBrown

The seller should make sure they have sent proof to the court that the CCJ has been paid. That way the Register of Orders, Judgments and Fines will be updated to show the CCJ has been satisfied, and in turn their credit reference file. If the CCJ was paid within a month of being made it will not show on their credit reference file, if it took longer than that to pay it’s going to stay for 6 years.

They could add a notice of correction to their credit reference file if they wanted any additional information to be taken into account as to why they had a CCJ. They can write up to 200 words as long as they are factually correct. They need to contact the credit reference agencies to do this.

Ultimately it will be down to a landlord or letting agent whether they rent to someone who has a CCJ. It may be worth them approaching some letting agents first to find out if they would consider it. They could also try and get someone to act as a guarantor for them. I hope you can get things sorted.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • hunt85
    hunt85 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why would a landlord not take on a tenant that wants to pay 18 months in advance?! I would suggest they find somewhere to rent outside of letting agents. So a friend of a friend or landlords advertising directly in the papers/online etc to avoid all those difficult checks via letting agents.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hunt85 wrote: »
    Why would a landlord not take on a tenant that wants to pay 18 months in advance?!

They wouldn't. I suspect that there are other issues with this individual as a potential tenant that they are not conveying to the OP. They should have no issues renting with an 18-month up front payment.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    I suspect they've gotten cold feet :/

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MEM62 wrote: »
    They wouldn't. I suspect that there are other issues with this individual as a potential tenant that they are not conveying to the OP. They should have no issues renting with an 18-month up front payment.

Hmm. most people renting to start a cannabis growing unit are more than happy to pay months in advance too. And in cash. It doesn't make them desirable tenants.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    macman wrote: »
    [/B]

Hmm. most people renting to start a cannabis growing unit are more than happy to pay months in advance too. And in cash. It doesn't make them desirable tenants.

It's ridiculous to assume that an upfront payment makes a tenant a cannabis farmer. The upfront payment is to offer some security in the event that the tenant has a less than perfect financial history. It does not mean that the other referencing checks are not carried out.
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    "This has now been paid and they have paperwork to show this but they are unable to rent any property."

There are no rules. Any landlord can rent to anybody they like, regardless of how many CCJs or bankruptcies they've had.

They need to try harder.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds like they are fishing to get you to pay for them to move out to me.
  • From my experience trying to rent with a CCJ, it was the letting agents who had a problem, even offering a guarantor I nearly got rejected, but the actual landlords were ok about it in the end. I'm in no position to offer months of rent up front so I always live in fear of not being able to rent, as it's not just me who's affected, it's my partner and son.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure