Halifax PPI on mortgage

Options
We claimed back PPI on our Halifax mortgage in 2012 and at the time I sent a letter to the Halifax requesting they look into any other accounts we have had with them to see if there was PPI on any loans or credit cards.
We assumed they had looked into this . Then couple of months ago I got so fed up with calls on my mobile about PPI that I told them they could carry on and check if we had any other PPI on all our accounts . We have only ever been with the Halifax for any mortgage, loan or credit cards , so I gave them permission to check with them . They got back to me after 4 weeks to say that there was PPI on a mortgage account from 2000 . Our mortgage started in 1993 and when we moved in 2000 to another property we were given another mortgage number for the extra money we borrowed . Surely the Halifax would have sorted that PPI five years ago when we put our claim in . Or has it been known that they only look at the mortgage account number that I had asked them to look into ?
The annoying thing now is that I am now tied with a reclaim company all because I thought my bank had sorted all our PPI out years ago .
Has anyone else come across this happening ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We assumed they had looked into this .
    You need to have made a specific complaint about specific finance to have any come-back. You didn't complain about anything specific.

No one forced (or even encouraged) you to sign up with the Claim firm other than the Claim firm.

Instead of "trusting" the bank to look at all your finance, you should have spent £10 on a Subject Access Request (SAR). This would have highlighted any additional PPI and allowed you to therefore make an additional complaint.

Finally, do realise that any complaint the Claim firm may make on your behalf may not be successful.

Are you sure you weren't already paid out for this in 2012?

Never "assume".
  • happysallyanne
    Options
    I know I didn't have to speak to the claims company . Maybe their findings will come to nothing . But it's definitely a different mortgage number than the one I claimed for in 2012 .
    I should have paid £10 and got an SAR done like you said .
    Thanks for your quick reply and I will await their findings .
    If there is no more PPI then the Halifax must have done as I had asked in my letter 5 years ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If there is no more PPI then the Halifax must have done as I had asked in my letter 5 years ago.
    You do realise the Claim Company can impose an administrative charge for "time-wasting" if you have already complained? Did you inform them of your success in 2012?
  • happysallyanne
    Options
    Yes I did. I told them I had claimed and said I was sure there was no more PPI to pay out and they still said they would check for me and the Halifax responded to them that we hadn't claimed on our mortgage deal from 2000 .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Halifax responded to them that we hadn't claimed on our mortgage deal from 2000 .
    Odd that, considering you told us in 2012 that you sent a SAR letter in August of that year;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4187675
  • happysallyanne
    Options
    I haven't got one in my paperwork here .
    Maybe I was going to send for one but never did.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Maybe I was going to send for one but never did.
    Your thread (above) from September 2012 claims that you had sent a SAR in the August...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure