Budgeting app? any decent ones out there?

hi all,

i've just had an increase in income, and this will leave me a little bit more better off, and i figured it'd be a good time to take more notice of whats coming in and out, and as i have a phone on me, as many do a lot of the time.. wondered if theres any reccommended apps to do this?
i have internet banking, but the app for that has never worked for me and i go onto desktop to access this info.

i am a galaxy S8 user, so andriod.

tia. dan

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,447
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    I use spending app
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    I use pen, paper, calculator and BRAIN. Don't need any app.
  • Sorry, I couldn't find an app to replace my MS Money 97.

Ride iOS and Android apps, but not quite the same.

There have been multiple similar threads, none of which aided me, however, if you do a search for budget app or similar term, you may find a referral that suits your needs.

Good luck.

Too many accounts now for pen and paper, but I understand the logic of the last poster. Paper doesn't die, be discontinued, or need recharging. The pen might though :-)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    MSMoney is still the best for budgeting and tracking.

ok only manual entry but that way to take more notice and analyse better.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I love YNAB (You Need A Budget) but unfortunately they moved from a one-off payment for the software to a monthly subscription. I still have the old version and would probably pay for the new one if I had to as I know I like the app, but can see why others wouldn't want to take the risk. There might be a free trial available out there. Anyway, I think it's brilliant.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    edited 30 May 2017 at 4:50AM
    YNAB is great for those that have struggled to budget properly and need close eye on cash flow as they are living payday to pay day.

it works and is successful because it met the needs of a group of people(large) that needed very specific help to break their cycles.

THe need for subscription is the problem is with a one off payment model is you run out of funds that's why MSMoney died it did everything so nothing new to add.
  • Clearcheckbook! There's an online version and an app version. I've used the paid version and the free version, and the free version is more than sufficient for my needs. It has budgeting, envelopes, income/expenditure summaries and projections, as well as a bunch of other stuff I don't use.
  • i understand what your saying about pen and paper, but ease of use, and calculations done for me and thus time saving is key!

also i imagine some of the apps, can make charts over time so i can see "oh look i've spent £123 on X Y or Z".

ill check out some of the suggestions, thanks!
  • nikongirl
    nikongirl Posts: 162
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Daily Budget has worked well for me. I work out my fixed monthly expenses separately on a spreadsheet, although you can do that in the app, and then my expendable income gets put into Daily Budget. I start a new 'cycle' of however many days there are until next payday and the app tells me how much I can spend each day. I record each transaction against a category and if there's money remaining that day it gets rolled over to the next day and so on. It has graphs for your spending in each category. I get a little bit addicted to seeing the money roll over from one day to the next.

Pennies has been recommended by friends although I haven't used it myself.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I love YNAB (You Need A Budget) but unfortunately they moved from a one-off payment for the software to a monthly subscription. I still have the old version and would probably pay for the new one if I had to as I know I like the app, but can see why others wouldn't want to take the risk. There might be a free trial available out there. Anyway, I think it's brilliant.

There's a 90 day trial out there if you Google for it. I've just started using this week and like it. Don't like having to pay for it but 50 use a year not too bad.

I had been using actual savings accounts for budgeting, but ynab seems easier and more flexible. It makes it easy to assign more money to one pot or another, and divorces the pots from where money is held

The mobile app isn't very good though, for viewing and entering transactions for current month only it seems
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure