Credit Services Association: we need your thoughts

124»

Comments

• badmemory wrote: »
    I would just like to declare a (lack of) interest. Never had any debt but do read some debt threads out of interest & basically to quote my mother "there but for the grace of god (or lucky chance) go I". The thought of someone asking for help that you can virtually hear crying as they type getting a (well almost) DCA answering is not a good one. Their own thread for Q & A ok (possibly even a good idea) but anything else would be like putting a fox in a hen house.

The good thing is that they would have the usual "I am a" thing, but would someone who is already really upset, unless they were already a regular on here, actually take that in? [QUOTE]

Exactly.

I think these sentiments are coming up repeatedly in the feedback, Andrea.

Having their own, dedicated, thread is the way forward i'd say.
    They may read posts elsewhere but please, not to comment on them then and there, they may only comment in their own thread ..... actually, is it even possible to restrict access to other threads or might we find them popping up in the other ones anyway given that they've got access ?
  • Thanks again everyone.

If we went ahead we'd ask them to only post on their own thread and make it clear to them if they posted on other threads we'd remove the account.

We'll let you all know when we've reached a decision.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,189
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with what others have said and you have now reiterated Andrea - posting to be on their own thread only.

I also feel that they should be told clearly that they ONLY respond to direct questions on that thread - no alluding to anything they've read elsewhere and definitely no quoting of posts other than those within their own thread. Other members on here have a right to feel that they have to "keep an eye" on a thread like that which they have not contributed to to make sure their posts aren't being quoted or used to illustrate a point, for example.

Catsacor they can read other threads even without an account, remember.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone.

If we went ahead we'd ask them to only post on their own thread and make it clear to them if they posted on other threads we'd remove the account.

We'll let you all know when we've reached a decision.

That sounds like a good compromise.

Remember, this is a 2 way street. It opens them up to direct challenge over their members practices, and I would implore anyone who receives worrying letters and harassing phone calls and e-mails etc, especially when told to communicate in writing only for example to ask the CSA if this sort of practice is acceptable.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • StopIt
    A quick bump to ask what happened to this.

Did the Credit Services Association give up or did MSE Towers not give them access?

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • kram wrote: »

Its like having a shark as a lifeguard at a swimming pool?

I agree with this.

I would also ask, cui bono - who benefits? I find it impossible to convince myself that the association does not see some benefit in this for itself and its members and I'm absolutely convinced that what would benefit them would not benefit DFWs on this site.

Just my opinion.
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • Hi Stopit (and everyone)

We haven't heard back from the association yet. We'll let you know.

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • StopIt
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi Stopit (and everyone)

We haven't heard back from the association yet. We'll let you know.

Well, they clearly aren't that interested then, or not invested enough to actually be a positive help here.

Imagine if they took a month to answer questions on the forum, wouldn't do much to help!

Thank you for the reply! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure