How do you use your PIP?

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I'm sure that last time the kitchen story was dragged out it was well north of 100k.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 8:12PM
    I knw I shouldn't rise to the bait @rockingbilly, as others have warned us off entertaining you, but can't help myself...

Wondering why 2 disabled people need 3 adapted bathrooms?

Refurbishing your home "just in case" isn't a need.

Solid oak floors isn't a need.

Anticipating a decline jn health isn't a need.

What you are describing makes your life more comfortable disability or no disability and is frankly disrepectful to even try and justify it as being in the same vein as thousands of disabled people fighting to get even the most basic quality of life that affords them the dignity we should all be able to live with.

I was simply pointing out that not everyone has to live hand to mouth waiting for the next DLA//PIP payment. Some like me have worked hard and have saved. Consequently that is the reason why I don't need the DLA payments - I use our savings and income from pensions to pay for them on an ongoing basis. I don't have any additional costs that arise out of my disabilities for the very reason that I have other monies that I use when needs arise.
    What else would you have me do? Keep our savings intact and use the DLA payments instead as they hit the bank every two weeks? Not such a brilliant way of budgeting - having to tell the contractor that he will get paid as and when the DLA payments are received!

Look at it another way, I fill the car up for my wife once a week with approx. £70 of fuel. Now I know that £45 or so of that fuel would normally be required irrespective of their being a disability or not - a normal weekly expense. The additional £25 of fuel relates to hospital visits, clinic visits etc Now you could say that is an extra cost. But seeing as I just fill the tank up out of pension income what should I do with the £25 of the DLA payment - reimburse my bank account?
    As the tank is already full I don't need that £25 of DLA money. That's just an example.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seriously time to move this to the discussions board.
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    my PIP goes on my contribution to my daily carers from a care agency, dairy/gluten free diet,high heating bills as I have no central heating, and in a cold, damp basement, dehumidifier and running costs,high water bills due to washing machine on daily and extra toileting, petrol, inpatient hospital costs, heating pads, tens machine,meds I can no longer get on NHS, odd job man to do jobs carers can't, cleaner, disability furniture that gets worn out quicker as I'm always on it, incontinence stuff, hand splints that I can no longer get on NHs, sheets, wipes etc, hernia support underwear eye masks, earplugs, visiting hairdresser, so many extra costs, I use all my DLA.. being ill and disabled is costly.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 3:54AM
    Ames wrote: »
    I'm sure that last time the kitchen story was dragged out it was well north of 100k.
    His memory problems are certainly a genuine disability... as evidenced by the Mobility scooter and difficulties putting it into the car.. only to later forget he ever claimed to have one. 'I must've been on my medication when I claimed I had a scooter' haha. I can just see it now... "Common Sides Effects: Nausea, dizziness, headaches, a belief you have a mobility scooter and palatial kitchen refit, light headedness, skin sensitivity". I think someone needs to be spending their DLA on truth serum.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    His memory problems are certainly a genuine disability... as evidenced by the Mobility scooter and difficulties putting it into the car.. only to later forget he ever claimed to have one. 'I must've been on my medication when I claimed I had a scooter' haha. I can just see it now... "Common Sides Effects: Nausea, dizziness, headaches, a belief you have a mobility scooter and palatial kitchen refit, light headedness, skin sensitivity". I think someone needs to be spending their DLA on truth serum.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite

Quite a few meds do have 'death' as a side effect, clearly 'resurrection' needs to be added. Think of the off label profits they could gain!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mine goes on taxis (expensive as I live in the middle of nowhere) trying to maintain my crutches (also expensive as I'm very hard on them) wigs and their upkeep for my alopecia (surprising how quick they wear out- also my brow pencils are £17.50 each. This is one of the many downsides of alopecia!) the multitude of OTC meds I need (saline spray and decongestant- £10 a pop; eye spray- £12 a pop, artificial tears- £4 per tube..) a gym membership so I can swim in a warm pool to help my constantly painful muscles...
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Shecar
    Shecar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Mine goes on taxis (expensive as I live in the middle of nowhere) trying to maintain my crutches (also expensive as I'm very hard on them) wigs and their upkeep for my alopecia (surprising how quick they wear out- also my brow pencils are £17.50 each. This is one of the many downsides of alopecia!) the multitude of OTC meds I need (saline spray and decongestant- £10 a pop; eye spray- £12 a pop, artificial tears- £4 per tube..) a gym membership so I can swim in a warm pool to help my constantly painful muscles...

In the case of med's are you not able to have these on prescription?
    One thing I am always aggrieved at is the fact that if you are diagnosed as having diabetes - all of your meds are free - not just those related to the condition.

My daughter has conditions she was born with (like a multitude of others), yet, (when we were in England), was not entitled to free prescriptions - I've always thought this was very wrong - especially as in the case of SOME diabetes sufferers - they have bought it on themselves by lifestyle choices (myself included at one time)
    Very happy early retired Mum, surrounded by the Welsh hills, our dogs, cats, goats and poultry

:grinheart:grinheart:grinheart:grinheart
  • I am registered SSI/blind due to ushers syndrome ( born deaf and was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa ( ushers) in June 2016 tho was suspected in Nov 2015 after a routine eye test around August 2015 due to problems with the peripheral test)
    I get high rate mobility and care. I do not have an "official" carer but my friend who is very supportive and does near enough everything for me flat shares with me. She also works full time.

She takes me out to the shops or to visit my family in Fife, I pay for her travel Costs to accompany me, taxi fares if do a big shop as she doesn't drive and I had to give up driving ( haven't driven since Nov 2015) or when I have hospital or doctor apts

I also pay for coffee/lunch when she takes me out and I do try and save a little bit each month as I am waiting to get a ground floor flat from the council and I will need to buy flooring and cooker, fridge washing machine etc when I get a suitable property.
    I also top up the electric as with my condition I don't do well in dim lit areas and tbf the lighting isn't that great so I have lamps as well as overhead light on for majority of the day this results in having to replace overhead lights in livingroom usually each month ( I think this is partly due to maybe dodgy electrics)
    I will also have to try and get some daylight lamps as well, these are not cheap and a standing lamp can cost approx £80-£100 each. I won't be buying these until I get a property from the council (I am a priority so hopefully soon)

I did pay totake my friend on holiday with Me as I'm so grateful for everything she does for me out the kindness of her heart - and she doesn't complain or moan and she also works full time as well as making sure I'm OK and iv got what I need. It's been hard time for me and I know it's been difficult for her too especially in the last couple of years - she also walks my dogs for me 4 x a day ( one dog iv had for almost 12 years and the other one will be 5 in December)

She is a true friend and has stood by me thru everything that's happened.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure