Closing A Fixed ISA

Hi,

Sorry for being thick, but can someone explain to me how a Fixed ISA works, in terms of closing it?

Currently, I have an ISA with the post office, but have fallen on hard times, so may need to close it.

For example, if I invested £5000 into the ISA and I closed it early on a 3 year fixed term, how much would I lose if I lost 270 days worth of interest? I am just interested in how it works.

If someone could provide a financial example, it would be appreciated as the examples online of the penalties faced are at best, rather vague.

Thanks,
johnsmithy

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    johnsmithy wrote: »
    For example, if I invested £5000 into the ISA and I closed it early on a 3 year fixed term, how much would I lose if I lost 270 days worth of interest? I am just interested in how it works. ...
    Do you not think that it's worth saying what interest rate it is?

You will not make a big error if you multiply the rate by 270/365, then by £5000:

£5000*R*270/365
  • johnsmithy
    johnsmithy Posts: 104 Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    Do you not think that it's worth saying what interest rate it is?

You will not make a big error if you multiply the rate by 270/365, then by £5000:

£5000*R*270/365

From what I can gather, the rate is 1.91%.

Thanks,
    johnsmithy
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2015 at 8:35AM
    It's not difficult to work out, and grumbler has given you the basics.

£5000 x 1.91% = £95.50 interest at the end of the first year.

One year = 365 days. Penalty for early closure is 270 days interest of current balance.

So, if still in first year (current balance 5000) the penalty is 270/365 x 95.50. Which equals £70 penalty.

If you're already in year 2 or year 3 then the balance has increased with interest from year 1 and/or 2 already added, so the penalty figure will be slightly higher.

Edited to add:
    So if you close the account within the first year you'll get back less than you put in. Close after the first year and you'll still get a modest profit. So if you are still in the first 12 months it would be worth hanging in there until at least the first anniversary if you can.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Zanderman wrote: »
    So if you close the account within the first year you'll get back less than you put in.
    Only if closed within the first 270 days - once it reaches 270 days then the interest earned outweighs the closure penalty (just because interest isn't paid until year end doesn't mean it isn't earned pro rata before then).
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It depend son the terms of the individual account. Why not call up the provider and ask them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure