Inheritence and benefits.

Preparing for some flack now after reading some similar threads..

Mum is looking at appointing me with power of attorney, just in case, and curious on howto share the assets when she passes on.

My sisters on ESA or JSA depends on her health. Mum worried that leaving half the estate to her will mean her benefits get stopped.

Considering leaving a high % of the house to her and any funds/stocks etc to myself. Thinking that if she moves into the property then her ESA/JSA will continue? Sister currently lives in council housing.

Will this work? (expecting flack, but it seems just the same as someone with a mortgage who loses their job but gets to keep the house)

Thanks...

Ready, Aim........... Fire :)
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Hopefully your mum has many years left yet but it would be wise for her to make a will.

If your mum bequethed your sister the house, or a percentage of it , and she left her council house and lived in it, then it would not affect her JSA/ESA benefit entitlement and she could still claim council tax rebate. Any money or shares over £6,000 would affect them though.
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    Depending on the value of the property at the time of inheritance she could be liable for inheritance tax.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to clarify POA ceases on death and has absolutely nothing to do with the distribution of the deceased's estate. That is down to the will/intestacy rules, whichever apply
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Any inheritance tax is paid from the estate before distribution of the assets, it is not the responsibility of the person receiving a legacy to pay that.
    On the specifics of the OP's question. A will as described is not a problem.
    What I can see as a potential problem for the sister is maintaining the property over time, if her only income is in the form of benefits. That is something for the family to discuss though. For example, if you were to pay for all maintenance and repair bills it wouldn't affect benefit. However, if you were to pay her bills that might be classed as income.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    You don't say how old your mum is but if she is elderly with the possibility of needing care then both she and the family needs to understand the deprivation of assets rules

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/deprivation-of-assets-in-the-means-test-for-care-home-provision/
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Londonsu wrote: »
    You don't say how old your mum is but if she is elderly with the possibility of needing care then both she and the family needs to understand the deprivation of assets rules

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/deprivation-of-assets-in-the-means-test-for-care-home-provision/

From the OP I get the impression they are talking about provision from a will, not signing stuff over during the mother's lifetime. Hopefully the OP will clarify that.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:37AM
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    From the OP I get the impression they are talking about provision from a will, not signing stuff over during the mother's lifetime. Hopefully the OP will clarify that.

Yes re reading that you are correct, still worth knowing about care home fees the OP and their sister seem to be of the mind that when Mum passes on there will be a house and funds/stocks to share out when in fact due to care home fees there could be nothing at all, Mum also needs to be aware of what her own financial responsibilities would be if she needs to fund her own care (very likely if she has a home to sell with no spouse/partner living there)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Sorry not making my self clear :)

Yep mums only in her 60's, but dad passed away recently, very unexpectedly.

She is now just planning for the future and getting everything sorted just in case. The POA is just to make it easier if anything happens where she needs care etc. The whole estate is will under the current inheritence tax limits.

Her will is still applicable, but thinking of amending it. But thinking that leaving my sister with a load of money that means she will have to spend it all before she can get benefits again is not sensible in her eyes. Its making me think as i type this though...wow.

Assuming she doesnt need to be taken into care etc.

So is there an issue with her leaving the house to my sister, with me having a partial share in it?

What happens if she is left the house and doesnt want to move into it?

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    You don't say what your sister's health problems are, could they mean that your mum's house isn't suitable for her? For instance if she can't manage stairs.

The best option might be (depending on her health problems) set up a discretionary trust with terns that it's to be used to buy a property.

If she inherits the house and doesn't want to move in there are three options.

1. She rents it out. For means tested benefits the rent would count as income and the value of the house would count as capital. So not realistically an option, unless the rent would be really high.

2. Sell it and buy somewhere else. The value of the house could be counted as capital while it's on the market as she isn't living in it, so moving in while it sells would probably be prudent. She'd then have six months after the sale during which the cash would be disregarded, so she can buy somewhere else.

3. Sell it and bank the cash. She'd pretty much have to spend it at benefit levels, although some purchases (new white goods, a second hand car, replacing furniture) would be acceptable.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    What if the house was not sold? Would they expect the person living there to pay rent? eg a family member living there and taking care of the place whilst they themselves save to buy a property?

Is there an issue with my mum putting our names on the deeds now?

The property would be suitable, its just the location, its miles from anywhere, and if she is on benefits then the travel costs will be an issue i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure