Trying to get Credit Information Updated in Time

I will be looking to apply for a mortgage in the next year, and have some credit card debt and a loan that I will be paying off in that time. I've seen online that it can take 90 days for updates (payments) to your cards to be reflected so that a lender can see this - is this accurate? If I were to go for a mortgage application and take proof, such as letters/statements that I have in fact paid these accounts in full, then would this suffice as evidence of no outstanding credit, or would I just have to wait for the companies to do their updates online?

Comments

• Or is it that when lenders go to get information about your existing/outstanding debts, they'll be able to get the up-to-date information that your accounts have been settled, even if you only made the payment two weeks before?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd prioritise clearance of the debts as early as possible. You are saving for a deposit one assumes. So use that.
  • Actually I have a deposit already which will come from the sale of my property - I will have a LTV of between 31-35%. I'm just wondering about the credit thing as my Experian score is 749 (Fair) but this is largely due to my debt. I've never missed a payment or anything like that and the debt will be paid by the time I apply for the mortgage, but it's just whether the companies update their records to show this has been cleared before I apply.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In most cases, disclosing the credit and saying it will be repaid on or before completion is enough. You do not have to pay it off months earlier unless you are approaching Santander and you need it out of the way to maximise your borrowing.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thank you. So I assume that the fact they will already have been paid before completion, and indeed before I even apply for the mortgage, would be enough even if it was only paid the month before?
  • kingstreet
    As an example, if a client has paid something off in the last three months, we enter the commitment in the application and tick the "to be repaid" box so we can ensure that if the lender can still see it, it understands it will be repaid and shouldn't be included in affordability.

Then you don't have to worry about when you pay it off and when the system updates. Unless you want Santander, that is. In that case I would repay as early as possible and obtain credit files regularly until I am 100% sure the commitments are visibly £0.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Brilliant thank you. So the last part of my question is that when the lenders contact companies like Experian, what information are they looking to get from them?
  • kingstreet
    Obtain a copy of your credit file.

The kind of information you can see there is what is obtained by a mortgage lender, although not to the extent you get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure