flybe free flights offer - any luck anyone?

Comments

• Three years - over 200 points and what do I get?

NO reply ever from Customer services - do they even exist?

Just two available flights at times I want (from regular abortive website searches) - and one of them cost me more than it was available for on offer! [though if you search for PLUS flights at double points consumption for very little benefit you'll have more luck - surprise surpirse]

It is an out and out con with no intention of offering a NET reward across the customer base only enough to avoid a charge of fraud. And now we can only go where no one would want to go - only all the seats are taken (by invisible passengers). After over 50 flybe flights I've NEVER flown in a full aircraft.
  • Arky
    Arky Posts: 3 Newbie
    My wife and I are pensioners have not been on Holiday for 10 years so for our Ruby Anniversary we thought we would use this offer recommended by Money Saving Expert when we tried to book today at a cost of hanging onto the phone for 40 minutes= £4
    They tell me even though when I received the T&C's it was OK for Spain I checked, they have changed the rules now we cant' go

Well "FLYBE" thanks for NOTHING what a waste and a great dissapointment I hope Martin comments on this
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    they expire also the points do
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • By way of an alternative viewpoint I've just booked two return flights to La Rochelle for my wife's birthday in September. I used the 48 points I was given on getting a Flybe credit card [which I used once and repaid in full]. Booking was made online and cost £134.22. Out of interest I looked at the cost of the same tickets without using the points - £295.62, a saving of £160. And as Flybe still use Electron as their 'no fee' card I avoided card fees also. So,a fair result I think. The only irritation is that I hadn't realised Flybe had [even] smaller hand luggage permissible dimennsions that Ryanair, so that our carefully chosen bags are 5 cms too long! But at least they allow me the opportunity to amend the baggage reqts at any time at no additional charge...
  • Hi. Thanks for this thread. I was about to apply for the flybe card but have decided not to now, on the basis of what people have written here. I can well believe this isn't as good as it appears.

On the other hand, I have used the flybmi card and this worked out well for me, at any rate. But only if you want to fly business class to Moscow or Istanbul!
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2011 at 1:25PM
    i applied for the card on 23 oct. at that time there was an offer saying that if i activate the card and spend on it by end of nov i would get two free flights and two lounge passes.

i have had a card from them in the past and cancelled it. i am now eligible for the introductory offer again.

also, being a member of rewards4all i know how this redemption and availability works.

so, i thought i was going into this open eyed.

i neglected to consider the credit card company.

i applied online and got accepted. after a couple of weeks no card arrived so i phoned up.

they said they would need to send a credit agreement for me to sign and return but that they hadnt done so.

so, at the time of writing i am STILL waiting for the credit agreement to arrive !

if you play the 'game' this card is worth getting for the introductory offer. i wouldnt use it in order to increase rewards4all balances since for me i can get more valuable rewards from other credit cards.

EDIT: STILL WAITING FOR THE CREDIT AGREEMENT AND CARD TO ARRIVE.
  • We changed our credit card to Flybe as our local internal UK flight provider to our nearest city (Glasgow Airport) from our nearest airport (Campbeltown) was Flybe and we thought we'd be able to use the free flights on this route. The route takes forty minutes but costs between £86 -£96 return. Turns out the free flights offer only applies from UK hub airports to European destinations direct. So the real benefit of a cheap / free flight was lost as it would cost a lot to get to the city hub airport to make a link to a European airport.

We also looked at some flights from Glasgow and Edinburgh but we found that most of the flights that the free flight applied to were the cheapest on offer at the most difficult to fill time slots that didn't suit having children travelling with you.

We are now changing our credit card.
  • I live in the Shetland Islands and we have no other choice than to use Flybe to and from Sumburgh, our airport. There is a tie-up between Flybe & Loganair but the planes are Flybe's.
    I have had the Flybe card for about two years now and have put as much of our outgoing expenditure as I can onto the card. Virtually everything that I used to pay with a debit card now goes onto the Flybe card. I pay the balance off weekly online so I am always within my £1,500 limit.
    My wife and I have only used the Flybe reward4all points for UK flights and have used them many times in the two years. We have flown to/from the mainland quite a few times and been to Southampton & back, via Glasgow with them. We are using the points to get us to Edinburgh over Christmas and have booked for us to go toSouthampton return again in April.
    I have never had any problem whatsoever in being able to use the points. If I am unable to book them online, I phone Flybe (using the landline number via "saynoto0870.com") and they have always been able to arrange the flights for us on the days chosen. Last year, I was toying with the idea of using the points to fly to Bergen and was offered the flights, over the phone, but I didn't take up the offer when I saw how much a night's B&B was in the city.
    I have had to pay the taxes and charges each time I fly but I have made significant savings via the card since getting it.
  • Nigbob
    Nigbob Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fancied an Easter weekend in Belfast. I saw the flights were quoted as £46 outward and £16 for the return leg (from EMA). Yes, they had seats available so we could use our vouchers. The free flights offer of course excludes taxes and charges (which of course we knew).

Guess how much of that £62 is covered by taxes and other charges? 100%!

So in effect, having a Flybe credit card actually saves you nothing.

I don't see how the taxes and charges can possibly be £16 from EMA-Belfast yet suddenly jump to £46 for the return leg of an internal flight. How can a fuel surcharge, for example, be different for the same journey in reverse?
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.flybe.com/card/cardFAQs.htm
    Are there any conditions on booking Bonus Flights (where you just pay taxes and charges)?

Bonus flights booked through your online customer account are subject to the same rules as our Rewards4all loyalty programme.

https://www.flybe.com/rewards4all/faq.htm
    Are there any embargo periods?
    There are no embargo periods for flight redemptions, however all reward flights are subject to availability and if you are planning to book in peak travel times (bank holidays, school holidays, major sporting events etc) or on a popular route or at a popular flight time, Flybe recommends booking early and being flexible with your dates. Discounted web fares may occasionally be available at a lower cost (including taxes & charges) than equivalent reward flights. Therefore, Flybe recommends customers are flexible with their travel dates when searching for reward flights.

They play around with taxes, fees and charges to manipulate the total fare in order to get bums on seats. Particularly for a quiet flight.

The card and rewards4all is a waste of time if you plan to use it for flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure