Seeking advice on motoring offence

Comments

• Dekota
    Dekota Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Once again, my position on it is I did use my phone to check the time and everywhere asked by the officer I admitted to it, I disputed the offence of not wearing my seatbelt which I was wearing.

So I should plead guilty to both regardless of the latter being false for the sake of saving time and making the magistrate process easy?

For those wondering why on earth I didn't go through getting issued the FPN was my simple misunderstanding of the officer's phrasing of issuing me with a caution which I presumed was a police caution which would go on my criminal record. That was the basis of me being apprehensive towards the officer.

I intend to plead guilty to the handheld device offence but I will defend myself on the seatbelt offence come what may, on principle that I am not willing to plead guilty to something I haven't done.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RS2000. wrote: »
    Where do you get the £620 prosecution costs from? Pepipoo.

I've not seen anyone charged anywhere near that in a magistrates court.

The prosecution cost scales (minimum £620) are here http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/costs/annex_1_-_scales_of_cost/

The new Criminal Court Charges (min £150) are here https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/about-sentencing/types-of-sentence/other-orders-made-on-sentencing/criminal-courts-charge/

There is also a victim surcharge of 10% of any fine, minimum £20.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Dekota wrote: »
    Once again, my position on it is I did use my phone to check the time and

Really? Last time around you were looking for a client's address using sat-nav. Now it's the clock.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5168101&highlight=

Still hope you get the book thrown at you.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Once again, my position on it is I did use my phone to check the time and everywhere asked by the officer I admitted to it, I disputed the offence of not wearing my seatbelt which I was wearing.

So I should plead guilty to both regardless of the latter being false for the sake of saving time and making the magistrate process easy?

For those wondering why on earth I didn't go through getting issued the FPN was my simple misunderstanding of the officer's phrasing of issuing me with a caution which I presumed was a police caution which would go on my criminal record. That was the basis of me being apprehensive towards the officer.

I intend to plead guilty to the handheld device offence but I will defend myself on the seatbelt offence come what may, on principle that I am not willing to plead guilty to something I haven't done.

A couple of points:
    1: if you have asked a solicitor take their advice not from us randoms on a forum.
    2: In your first post you said you checked your phone for a client's address. In the above post the time. This smacks of clutching at straws and lying. If that is the case you deserve all that the courts throw at you.
  • RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The prosecution cost scales (minimum £620) are here http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/costs/annex_1_-_scales_of_cost/

The new Criminal Court Charges (min £150) are here https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/about-sentencing/types-of-sentence/other-orders-made-on-sentencing/criminal-courts-charge/

There is also a victim surcharge of 10% of any fine, minimum £20.

Have you ever seen £620 awarded, they are usually in the range of a couple if hundred?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

I will defend myself on the seatbelt offence come what may, on principle that I am not willing to plead guilty to something I haven't done.

You have a lot to learn about the British legal system. :(

Innocent until proven guilty is a fallacy - in reality it does not exist.

It is quite common to plead guilty to something that you have not done - as it is often expedient to do so.

The costs involved in defence are horrendous especially where you have no witnesses or any independent proof.

Your word against that of an experienced policeman? Hmm?

Speaking from experience - you will be made a complete fool of, and the prosecution will run rings around you.

You have already given us two conflicting reasons for using your phone - so it would be easy for anyone to show, or even suggest, you are not reliable and fully honest.

The time involved both in preparing your case and then in court appearances can well mean another pile of losses due to time off work.

Principles don't come cheap.
  • RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    You have a lot to learn about the British legal system. :(

Innocent until proven guilty is a fallacy - in reality it does not exist.

It is quite common to plead guilty to something that you have not done - as it is often expedient to do so.

The costs involved in defence are horrendous especially where you have no witnesses or any independent proof.

Your word against that of an experienced policeman? Hmm?

Speaking from experience - you will be made a complete fool of, and the prosecution will run rings around you.

You have already given us two conflicting reasons for using your phone - so it would be easy for anyone to show, or even suggest, you are not reliable and fully honest.

The time involved both in preparing your case and then in court appearances can well mean another pile of losses due to time off work.

Principles don't come cheap.

Being fair to the OP, the phone and the reasons for using it will have nothing to do with the seatbelt trial if she decides to go to court.

I do however doubt her ability to cast reasonable doubt without losing it.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    How can you be so sure that an arrest warrant wouldn't be issued?

I feel that it's perfectly possible - just as being found guilty in your absence is possible.

How does one work out the odds of one rather than the other?

It's not about odds nor what you feel is possible.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

I happen to agree with this, as to plead guilty is the same as saying "I did that", and in this case you would be lying to court by saying you did it if you didn't. Some kind of reverse perjury.

Anyway, let us know how your day in court goes.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not about odds nor what you feel is possible.

You'll need to explain that then, please.

It all depends on what you want as an outcome.

I think that pleading not guilty is a gamble.

And several outcomes are possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport