Bank statement as proof of purchase

As in title I've noticed alot of posts where ppl are saying if you have lost your reciept you can produce a bank statement as proof of purchase.

However when I tryed to take an elecrical item back to my local tesco with this they said they cannot trace purchases over 12wks in there system and it's not proof of purchase for the item anyway as for all they know my statement could have been for a weekly shop ect :(

Comments

• djb215
    djb215 Posts: 412 Forumite
    In that case you need to tell Tesco it's their problem if they want to trace the sale because you have provided a bank statement showing when it was purchased, unless, did you only buy the item on that transaction or did you buy something else too?
    [DISCLAIMER: Any posts made by myself are my opinions and do not represent my employer]

God put me on Earth to acomplish a certain number of things.
    Right now I am so far behind I will probably never be allowed to die!
  • AfterDark
    AfterDark Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought it along with my weekly shop, which is prob why they were a bit cagey with the figure on the statement, but they never even offered to search for it just apologised and said they couldn't
  • What was the reason for you wanting to return it?
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2010 at 2:37AM
    by law they have to keep a record of all transactions, for the purposes of manufacturers guarantees (1year!) on your electrical item. aswell as tax purporses for any audit. Insist that they check their accounting systems. Probably just too lazy to do the legwork to start a search. but bottom line is - you have proof of purchase.

the card transaction id, will be able to bring up the receipt of what you bought. I know this having been involved with credit card fraud investigations. Pester them again, phone their HQ customer services.
  • I think many companies simply turn people away as they know it may take extra work for them to track down the transaction. Yes, it is quite possible that in many cases the person will go away, have a look and find the receipt etc.

However, if an item is clearly faulty and they will not accept the item back, and you were forced to take this further then the level of proof required for the claim to proceed is usually quite low.

In a small claims motion the expectation is generally that you can prove "on the balance of probabilities" that the transaction you are highlighting, was indeed for the purchase of the goods claimed.

Therefore, evidence of the transaction could be accepted as proof of purchase. Pointing out that a refusal to accept that will result on further action being taken will usually shift them into possibly doing a little legwork to help you.

Yes, they can claim that it was for something else, but if you clearly have a faulty kettle that looks 3 months old, you have evidence of a transaction for say £16.99, and that was the price of the item 3 months ago, then they really don't have a leg to stand on. The problem is that they just need convincing of that fact. Of course, this gets slightly more difficult if you have a transaction for a different amount as you bought other items at the same time......

If you don't ask .... you don't get
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    The_Pedant wrote: »
    I think many companies simply turn people away as they know it may take extra work for them to track down the transaction. Yes, it is quite possible that in many cases the person will go away, have a look and find the receipt etc.

However, if an item is clearly faulty and they will not accept the item back, and you were forced to take this further then the level of proof required for the claim to proceed is usually quite low.

In a small claims motion the expectation is generally that you can prove "on the balance of probabilities" that the transaction you are highlighting, was indeed for the purchase of the goods claimed.

Therefore, evidence of the transaction could be accepted as proof of purchase. Pointing out that a refusal to accept that will result on further action being taken will usually shift them into possibly doing a little legwork to help you.

Yes, they can claim that it was for something else, but if you clearly have a faulty kettle that looks 3 months old, you have evidence of a transaction for say £16.99, and that was the price of the item 3 months ago, then they really don't have a leg to stand on. The problem is that they just need convincing of that fact. Of course, this gets slightly more difficult if you have a transaction for a different amount as you bought other items at the same time......

If you don't ask .... you don't get

great advice.

and of course, added to that is that every electrical item has a unique serial number.....can be matched up to see if it was part of the order that went specifically to Tesco from the manufacturers.....
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not aware that the Sale of Good Act requires a retailer to open its books to you. It's you who has to produce proof of purchase, not them. Supposing that a case like this got as far as the small claims court, and the retailer continued to insist that you hadn't produced proof of purchase. What's the judge going to do, issue a search warrant and have the retailer's records seized? Of course not, because there is no legal obligation on them to share this information.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Its not been said that it was returned due to a fault - but if so no receipt is needed.
    And as already said - they by law have to keep records for 12 months, plus do the suggested serial number check, it will show it was part of a tesco batch.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JamieT1977 wrote: »
    Its not been said that it was returned due to a fault - but if so no receipt is needed.

But proof of purchase is.
    And as already said - they by law have to keep records for 12 months

But they're not obliged to share them with you!
    , plus do the suggested serial number check, it will show it was part of a tesco batch.

...and might subsequently have been sold on eBay or something!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster wrote: »
    But proof of purchase is.

But they're not obliged to share them with you!

...and might subsequently have been sold on eBay or something!

I stick by my comments :) I have a background in retail operations :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure