Jobseekers allowance for over 60s

Right then, I am 60 years old, have never claimed a bean in my life and was self employed for 40 years with all tax and NHi contributions up to date.

I gave up my business a couple of years ago.. I just felt worn out, no specific illness or injury, just had enough..

I own my own home and have about 50k in savings plus receive £110 a month personal pension..

I work as a TV "extra" about one day a month, which earns about £80 a time .

I can see that if I live to a decent age, my savings are not going to last... SO...If I go along and sign on for jobseekers allowance, am I likely to get any ??? and will they seriously expect to find me work at my age....?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are 2 types of Jobseekers allowance - contribution based and income based but both of them require you to be looking for work
    If you had been self employed it is likely that the NI contributions you made, whilst counting towards your pension, will not count for CB JSA
    Your savings will discount you from IB JSA so you may have to wait till pension etc kicks in before receiving anything
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You won't get JSA but might well be entitled to pension credit (unless you live with a partner who has an income which takes you over the threshhold as it would be assessed jointly). You can apply once you have reached state pension age (if you are a woman), or the state pension age of a woman your age (if you are a man!). See calculator. So if you were born before October 1950 you could claim pension credit now (Pension Service 0800 99 1234 ).

Because your income is so low, you would get it even with your £50k savings. It wouldn't be much (less than £20 a week) but you'd also get council tax benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure