Tax rebate for washing work uniform at home

Would welcome any advice please.

I am looking in to the tax rebate for washing uniform at home.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as the uniform has a logo etc and the company does not supply laundry facilites at work you are allowed to claim for washing the uniform at home?

Does the company have to agree to the tax rebate?
I work in a job which is quite hard on clothing which means uniform needs washing everyday.

My employers are being very unhelpful in this and are saying we are not intitled to the rebate.
Does the tax rebate affect the employer in any way?

Has the employer a responsibility to tell employees that they are intitled to this rebate/
would be gratefull if any one could advise.
thanks
sonnyboy

Comments

5562 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Hi,
    No the employer does not need to agree to the tax rebate as it is not given by them. If the uniform has a company logo, then you are entitled to the £60 rebate this year and £45 for previous financial years if applicable.
  • ceeforcat
    ceeforcat Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Lest there be any confusion you are entitled to an allowance of £60 this year. This will have the effect of reducing your tax by £12 per annum (£9.90 in previous years)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    and you should contact your tax office - they will adjust your coding, if you are entitled to a tax allowance, and it won't cost your employers a penny. They (your employers) aren't interested because it's not their problem and it's not in their power to change your tax code.
    Incidentally trade unions often negotiate these kind of allowances on behalf of the entire (affected) workforce.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • hi my son worked in a recyling yard lol -scrap yard = and had to have his clothes washed every day he no longer works there could he still claim ? thanks
  • hi yes he did have a uniform navy trousers and navy jumpers with company logo,and they were washed every night and dried ,you should of seen the oil type stuff that came out of them always had to do a full empty wash after to clean my machine ,thanks
  • You cannot claim for any clothes that are navy blue. And they have to be washed in a Hotpoint washing machine on a 40.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=27967 Hi heres a link to an old thread about this that has alot of info in for you.
    HTH
    PP
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • hello

all these comments have been very helpful. is it as simple as asking the tax office for a form to claim tax back for washing work uniform ? anyone who can help a novice would be appreciated
  • wallsy
    wallsy Posts: 27 Forumite
    Is this a total of £60 a year in tax relief? This would only work to about £13 rebate! Is that right?
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    @libbie - you dont need a form, just write a letter.
    @wallsy - yes, tax relief is just that - relief from tax. £60 allowance @ 20% is £12 tax relief or saving.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport