PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

That last half inch....?

Comments

• Saver0811 wrote: »
    It was Colmans.....mustard.

That's the one - thank you!

(Guess I should have listened to my Dad more :o;))
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Me too!
    I use a spoon for the marmite /bovril jars.
    They are shaped that way specifically for that reason.
    I fold puree tubes as evenly as possible too when getting it out because they are metal and will leave pockets of puree inaccessible if not rolled evenly.
    Toothpaste is not so bad these days because the tubes are now soft plastic,you can push a thumb into the shoulder of the tube from outside and the pressure gets the corners emptied.
  • I am the girl who will cut the tops off squeezy body lotion/scrub tubes just to be sure I've got it all out - my theory being that this stuff costs money and therefore I'm going to get the use out of it! I do it with jars/tubs of food as well but not to the extent I do with toiletries.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • I bought a pack of icecream spoons with long handles very cheaply in Poundstretcher - invaluable for scraping out jars and you don't get your hands messy from the top of the jar. :-)
  • The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

In fact I really don't like any pump action bottles as there is always something left at the bottom that you can never get out!
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2011 at 12:07PM
    The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

In fact I really don't like any pump action bottles as there is always something left at the bottom that you can never get out!

That's where a baby hacksaw comes in handy (or strong scissors if the plastic is thin enough). I cut about a third to a half off the container and then wrap it in clingfilm to keep the contents from drying out.

I've even been known to pull off the 'straw' of the pump and blow the contents back in to the container.

With tubes I flatten them out and use the back of a knife to scrape up and force the tube flat to squeeze the contents up near the top.

There is no packaging I can't savage for the last drops, regardless of how clever the manufacturers think they have been.
    "carpe that diem"
  • I top up the dregs of a thickish moisturing cream with a thinner one to get the last bits out. This I usually use as hand cream.
  • Yup me too I also scrape as much as I can from any jars or bottles after all I paid for it and I'm not throwing stuff away just because I can't get to it .Re marmite jars when I've got as much as I can out I will top up with boiling water ,give it a shake to clean it and then put in a jug in the fridge to use when making gravy next
  • The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

If it's anything like the old toothpaste pump things, I used to jam a toothbrush up the bottom of it and push hard whilst holding the tube with the other hand and trying to navigate it onto a toothbrush :D

Was a bit of a palava. Perhaps you could try something similar into a an old pot of moisturiser and just keep going till it's empty and then use it from the pot for a week?
  • I put some water into the washing up liquid bottle when it comes to it's end, I get at least one more bowl of washing up done and if it is fairy, I usually get two bowls worth.
    I use vinegar in sauce bottles and save butter wrappers for greasing pans.
    When I use a brillo, I cut it in half first, I do the same with washing up sponges as well.
    Shampoo and conditioner bottles get turned upside down and after that I add a little warm water to get one more use.

Tubes of stuff are emptied of their contents by using one of these 51D0B1JRclL._AA115_.jpg £2.86 from Amazon.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills