The Speaking Clock.BT price increase.

BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See https://www.bt.com/update/

;) You can ring it for the price of a geographical call on

0131 477 7676. or 01923 287 748.
PF.

Comments

• Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Sorry I do not understand why you want to pay for the time, there are so many ways to get the correct time. Your PC, BBC, just turn the tv on, Sky displays the correct time, just go to the menu. Most videos display the time sent from the BBC. Am I missing something here! Crickey even a modern day watch is very accurate once set correctly from those places above?????

I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?

D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Davidboy wrote:
    ..I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?
    I think the OP was just informing anyone that still may use 123 although maybe not many but some may still do.

Last time I rung it (years ago now) it was only 10p so I didn't realise it was 20p but now 30p.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Davidboy wrote:
    Sorry I do not understand why you want to pay for the time, there are so many ways to get the correct time. Your PC, BBC, just turn the tv on, Sky displays the correct time, just go to the menu. Most videos display the time sent from the BBC. Am I missing something here! Crickey even a modern day watch is very accurate once set correctly from those places above?????

I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?

What about blind people? :confused:

The people most likely to use this will be elderly or blind. It's immoral that BT should charge for this service at all, let alone increase the cost by 50% :mad:
  • Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    paul_h wrote:
    What about blind people? :confused:

The people most likely to use this will be elderly or blind. It's immoral that BT should charge for this service at all, let alone increase the cost by 50% :mad:

Yeah ok, point taken. Yes I do agree it is too expensive, but isnt that the sign of the times??!! Nothing surprises me anymore.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    The reason i posted this info was i guessed some folks must still use it,or BT and other providers would not offer it.Therefore i thought i would draw the large increase in the cost of the call,and a cheaper way to call it to other members and guests.After all this site is about moneysaving,and helping folks is it not.Or have i missed something somewhere. :confused:
    PF.
  • BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See www.bt.com/update/

I haven't used it for years and didn't realise it was so expensive. I usually use the internet these days with Atomic Clock Sync. I'll give my parents the geographic alternative numbers you provided because I think they might still use the speaking clock occasionally for setting their clocks at home.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The reason i posted this info was i guessed some folks must still use it,or BT and other providers would not offer it.Therefore i thought i would draw the large increase in the cost of the call,and a cheaper way to call it to other members and guests.After all this site is about moneysaving,and helping folks is it not.Or have i missed something somewhere. :confused:

I didn't realise it was so expensive to call and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who have to use it and are unaware of the cost. The geographic alternative could save these people £££s.

Some of these utility companies must make a good profit from people who are unaware of cheaper alternatives, or are unable to use the internet, or are unable to organise switching suppliers for themselves, etc. - generally the elderly, and poorer end of society.

If anyone knows someone who might use the speaking clock, do them a favour and give them the geographic number in pricefighter's post.
  • BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See https://www.bt.com/update/

Just had a three way call with those two, and they are exactly 1 minute different! :rotfl:
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    020 7043 1320 (or 1431320 free if you're on Sipgate VoIP)
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • AP
    AP Posts: 412
    First Post
    Forumite
    Just looking at BT pricing news about the speaking clock price increase, I think the more alarming increase is rather the bottom paragraph, which says:

"Further price changes
    From the 1st October 2005, the calculation for determining the call charges for selected call types will be changed from rounding up to one tenth of a penny, to rounding up to half a penny.

Currently, Evening and Weekend UK2 calls for BT Together Options 1, 2 and 3 are charged at the rate of 1p for every minute beyond the first hour, as are Evening and Weekend local calls for BT Together Local customers. However, from 1st October 2005, the price per minute beyond the first hour will increase to 3p per minute for these calls."

This means that call charges after the first hour is now at the daytime rate and the evening and weekend rate has effectively been abolished!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure