PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mushroom soup

I have been 'donated ' a large bag of mushrooms and want to turn them into soup and never had much luck with making Mushroom soup although every other soup is fine Anyone got a quick foolproof mushroom soup recipe please .I have around 2lb-3lb at least:D I have taken the stalks off and trimmed and bagged them into the freezer for casseroles later but I'd really like to make a big vat of soup.Mine usually ends up like a grey murky mess.

Comments

• Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 October 2014 at 3:10PM
    MUSHROOM SOUP

Makes 2 x 250ml bowls

INGREDIENTS

125g of closed cup mushrooms
    ½ a potato
    ½ an onion
    2 tablespoons of oil
    350ml of milk
    ½ a teaspoon of dried parsley
    ½ a teaspoon of dried thyme

METHOD

Wipe the mushrooms clean, cut the ends off the stalks and chop them into 2cm (1 inch) pieces. Peel the potato, cut it in half, chop one half into 2cm (1 inch) pieces and save the other half. Peel the onion, cut it in half, chop one half into tiny pieces and save the other half.

Put the oil into a saucepan on a medium heat. Fry the onion for about 2 minutes until it is soft. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the potato and mushrooms and cook, stirring all the time, for another 2 minutes.

Add the milk and herbs.

Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling. Put the lid on the saucepan and continue to cook for 20 minutes.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy. If you used a food processor, rinse out the saucepan and put the soup back into the saucepan.

Put the saucepan on a low heat and reheat the soup gently.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use oregano instead of the thyme.

TIPS

Don’t use open mushrooms. The dark brown undersides give the soup an unappetising dark brown colour.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Adding some creme fraiche, cream or milk really makes a difference to home made mushroom soup. It kind of brings it all together and its lush!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/creamy-mushroom-soup/

Jackie O my mushroom soup was pretty much like you described until I found a Jamie Oliver recipe and now I love it.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you everyone for the recipes thats is my task for this morning :):)
  • natbags
    natbags Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    i second the jamie oliver recipe, mine always looked like split mud (tasted fine, just looked yuk!) until i found this which works a treat and is delish
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Thanks for posting the question JackieO.
    I got the murky grey mess too, not appetizing to look at but tasted ok if you closed your eyes !!!!
    Will give Jamie's recipe a try.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Jamie O's recipe worked a treat I have bookmarked it and also stuck it into my online recipe folder Cheers chums xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure